63 valiant rear brakes

-

ducter

Reaction score
I'll start this with I have never worked on drum brakes. For some reason they scare me. I Have replaced about every part in various cars, from simple plugs to motor and transmission swaps. Drum brakes, don't know why but they intimidate me.

With that said, I have been working on my sisters 63 valiant, she took it for a drive yesterday and when she returned to my house said it smelled funny and felt a little weird. I noticed the passenger rear wheel was pretty hot. It was late so I just parked it and didn't mess with it.

Going to start looking at it today but figure it's going to be brakes or bearings or both. Hoping to gain some insight from those more knowledgeable than I. What to look for to determine if it's the brakes? Once I get it jacked up, if it's dragging couldn't that still be either one? Pulling the wheel side to side is how I quickly check the bearings but still not sure about the brakes.

Thanks for helping and with a possibly dumb set of questions, just want to know what to look for.

If you can pull the drums off, its probably not the brakes dragging. If you cant pull the drums off, back the adjuster out as far as you can and use a mallet to tap the drum off just dont beat on it. I have found the old lining broken and jammed in there more than once. They are a little complicated so take a few pics once you get the drum off so you remember where all the springs go and such. I hate drum brakes........but you gotta live with them in the rear if you own an older car.

I jacked it up, tire rotates freely, a little rough in one spot that kinda slows it down. The hub came right off, I don't see anything wrong so guessing even tho the wheel turns okay and no movement when pulling on the wheel that the bearings are still going bad?

-
Back