64-5 intake bolt angle

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
had a discussion on old 273 bolt hole angles (and sizes) and found this pic I took of a 64 block with a 65 intake. The casting lines line right up with the bolt centerline and are obviously not like the newer heads. maybe this will help visualize the difference.
early2.JPG

early.JPG

Hey..Is THAT the intake I shipped to you in the USPS flat rate box ???:rofl:

how about a 65 designed intake on a 67 head? (Anonymous contributor) but note the bolt heads are cocked, not seated and do not follow the same casting line anymore on the 67 heads as the holes are drilled higher on the heads gasket face. the washers are emulating the gasket width and right one is closer to the actual 67 hole position.
upload_2017-10-8_18-40-50-jpeg.1715098711

Last edited:
I didn't measure exactly, but the bolts go in ~16 deg off vertical in 64 & 65 273 heads. That is a rare HiPo cast-iron manifold you have. I finally found a 4 bbl aluminum intake for my 65 Dart 273. Haven't installed and currently have a 66+ alum intake on it which was a bit tricky by counter-sinking the holes and using flat-head screws. I hope to eventually try fitting a Magnum beer-barrel intake to my 65 heads. It has vertical bolt holes.

When I installed the 340 Edelbrock Tarantula on my '65 273, I just wiggled the small stock intake bolts a little to get things started. I did not know at the time of the difference regarding intake bolt size/angles.

Is that a D-64? I purchased an Edelbrock 273 duad-quad intake I found in the showcase of the local Dodge Dealer's parts department back in the '70s for $50.00. It was painted red, lost it last time I moved.

Is that a D-64? I purchased an Edelbrock 273 duad-quad intake I found in the showcase of the local Dodge Dealer's parts department back in the '70s for $50.00. It was painted red, lost it last time I moved.
It's an offy.

Now I remember, the D-64 had four equal sized holes on each side instead of open/half plenums. I think it was 180 degree dual-plane design, that Offy looks single plane to me.

65 is the valuable one year only, maybe $100 to 273/4bbl wannabes
66 not so much as it has the modern bolt angle but will fit all >65 273-318s so maybe 60?
D4B is probably the most desireable as it is the 64-65 only (bolt angle) aluminum 4bbl intake. $150+ but one went for 250.
But as always it is the value to the buyer that sets the sold price.

My current '65 Formula S has a 1980's era 318 some previous owner put in it. The original AFB is using a '66 273 four barrel manifold to fit the carb on the newer 318. The Commando valve covers will be restored back to their original appearance some day soon (the machine shop that painted the rebuilt 318 did not know any better).

DSC01217.JPG

I had a 68 318 short block under the rest of a 273-4 cam and all and it rocked. The 318-2 was only a hair under a 273-4 in HP but had loads more torque across the board.

Yes, the 318 under the 273 top half makes a nice combo. During the 1,500 mile trip I drove it to its new home, however, it was a gas hog! I did discover that the vacuum advance had been out of order during the re-location ride. I hope with the advance working again now, the fuel mileage will take a giant leap forward. I have the TTi 2 1/2" exhaust system from manifolds to tail pipes.

-
Back