[WANTED] 64-65 904 transmission for V8

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either year trans will fit the engine, and car, but there are some important differences in the trans, itself. Mainly the shifter/valve body. 65 is by it self, even though both are cable shifted. There are also some internal differences that would make a difference in the parts need for a rebuild (one thing comes to mind: tailshaft bearing and seal).

Either year trans will fit the engine, and car, but there are some important differences in the trans, itself. Mainly the shifter/valve body. 65 is by it self, even though both are cable shifted. There are also some internal differences that would make a difference in the parts need for a rebuild (one thing comes to mind: tailshaft bearing and seal).
Oh thank you! Yeah I need it for a 65

Charlie, is it my imagination, or were there some transmission in 65 that were cable shifted and had slip yokes too? I seem to have that stuck in my head for some reason.

Charlie, is it my imagination, or were there some transmission in 65 that were cable shifted and had slip yokes too? I seem to have that stuck in my head for some reason.
Someone posted that recently, but I can't remember ever seeing one. Might be in a larger vehicle, with a 727, but not a 904, or "A" body.

Oh thank you! Yeah I need it for a 65
You can make a 64 trans work, by using a 65 Valve body. The 65 has one extra detent. The other things are just knowing the year to get the correct rebuild parts
PS: I should have a "core" trans, but I don't know if shipping would be worth it.
Let me know, if you can't find one closer.

So does that make the 1964 273 trans a 1-year only one also? Does it matter if it’s a push button one or a floor shift one?

So does that make the 1964 273 trans a 1-year only one also? Does it matter if it’s a push button one or a floor shift one?
64 is a one year only trans, only because it is the 1st year for the small block V-8. The difference, between the 64 and 65 is due to the shifter. A PB shifter uses a different valve body then the floor shift or cable (65) column shift. However the VB can be swapped.
Example: My 66 Cuda had a 65 trans, with a 64 Valve body, and the PB shifter mounted on a homemade console on the floor, between the bucket seats.

nope only in 66 they had slip yokes
That's true for small blocks, but big block 65 727's had a slip yoke tailshaft and pushbuttons with cables. Also, a column shift with cables. 65 small block 904's and 727's had cable shift and no slip yokes.....just trunnion joints. As far as the cable shift transmissions go, the only difference in the valve body is the rooster comb that the cable hooks to. A pushbutton rooster comb is different than a floor shifted rooster comb in 64-65 904's.

As far as the cable shift transmissions go, the only difference in the valve body is the rooster comb that the cable hooks to. A pushbutton rooster comb is different than a floor shifted rooster comb in 64-65 904's.
Not quite correct. The rooster comb is different, but so is the manual valve. Also the bore that the manual valve goes in, is not open at the far end on the 64 valve body. If you try to use a 65 manual valve and rooster comb in a 64 valve body, the valve will hit the closed end of the bore, and will not have moved far enough. The 65 valve body has a open end on the bore, to allow for the different valve. You can use a 64 rooster comb, manual valve in a 65 valve body, but cannot use a 65 manual valve in a 64 valve body. It might be possible to open the end of the bore of the manual valve , on the 64 VB to use the 65 parts, but I have never tried to do that.

:thumbsup: Great info Charrlie! Just goes to show that you can learn something new every day if you want to. I figured out years ago that the guy who rebuilt the big block 65 cable shift 727 that I put in a 64 Belvedere wagon must not have known as much about cable shift 727's as he claimed. You just reinforced that because that's where I got the above info....lol.

:thumbsup: Great info Charrlie! Just goes to show that you can learn something new every day if you want to. I figured out years ago that the guy who rebuilt the big block 65 cable shift 727 that I put in a 64 Belvedere wagon must not have known as much about cable shift 727's as he claimed. You just reinforced that because that's where I got the above info....lol.
Any day where something new is not learned, is a day wasted. I don't claim to be any where new an expert on torqueflytes. But I do have personal experiance on that 64-65 904's issue. As far as the 65 727 cable shift/ slip joint, I had never seen one, so I learned something also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back