64 barracuda 360,what oil pan?

-
I originally used a 74 360 in my 65 Cuda with original A body oil pan, you must use the V8 center link or it rubs the pan . I am now using a 360 crate motor with what looks to be the same oil pan. Sorry don't have a part no.

65 used 2 different insulators: thick and thin. The thick ones really get the motor over the dropped center link. IF you use the thin ones (Ice cream sandwich sized) make sure the center link has clearance lock to lock or it could eventually rub a hole.

It is a v8 car,so center link should be okay.
Was not sure if there was a better fit pan option.

this is kinda my problem with my 65 barracuda, 273 car floor shift 904. (2 cable). changing over to a 360 727 and I need info on this swap. tranny is in and with a this isolator from the 69 just to mock stuff up. the tranny hits the tunnel and there is no way to get an oil pan on it.

I just find a center sump car oil pan and the dropped center link. I have had some instances where the steering linkage contacts the pan at full stop but a slight indentation with a ball pein remedies that. A 727 will definitely be a tight fit in the transmission tunnel and must have the firewall crimp removed or hammered and a couple of other spots sledge hammer adjusted to fit.

That is one of the reasons why I stayed with a 904(built stronger)to avoid fitment issues.

there are 2 "center sump" 360 pans that I am aware of (might be more) & the sumps on both are ~ 8" long but one starts ~2" back from a plumb line straight down from the front lip & the other one ~4" back & you want the 4 incher. I'll see if I can find the #'s for both of em. EDIT 876-2" 392-4" MORE EDIT & the 876 takes a pickup with a long sweeping bend & the 392 takes one with pretty much a 90 degree bend MORE EDIT & disregard the top pickup

560.jpg

Last edited:
there are 2 "center sump" 360 pans that I am aware of (might be more) & the sumps on both are ~ 8" long but one starts ~2" back from a plumb line straight down from the front lip & the other one ~4" back & you want the 4 incher. I'll see if I can find the #'s for both of em. EDIT 876-2" 392-4" MORE EDIT & the 876 takes a pickup with a long sweeping bend & the 392 takes one with pretty much a 90 degree bend MORE EDIT & disregard the top pickup

View attachment 1715489651

559.jpg

What oil pans work best for this application?
Summit sells a center sump 360 oil pan. I hammered in the corners to match the 273 pan. I've used 273 904 trans with 340 and 360 with no problems ( I did go through the trans w/clutches and bands. B&M flex plate to balance 360 and a bushing in crank counterbore to match torque converter hub of 273 904.

-
Back