64 Dart 5.7 hemi update thread.

-
Since you said you want to get the engine bay right. I would go ahead and take care of the firewall pinch weld too. I flattened mine out and massaged some extra room. This may become useful if you ever switch to a 5-spd or 727 in the future.

Great idea with the pinch point man, should i just trim it up abit? Also, thats cool we are two months apart. 34s not too old yet right? ha ha.
Anyway, that would be awesome to meet up on Power Tour someday. Of course Im a few years off from Power Tour, but it is one of my goals. Seems like Power Tour is the offical cruise to take a freshly rebuilt hot rod on. The only bad thing for you guys out west is the Power Tour hasnt come out that way in awhile which is kinda unfair. I guess the west coast guys got the Car Craft Anti-Tour and Mopar Action does a cruise to Vegas. The midwest is beautiful, but i cant wait for all those long lonely stretches of highway out west. I could make all my vacations road trips, but the wife and kids would kill me.
Also thought was cool you were able to use parts off your other car to fab up stuff for your convertible. I did the same with the radiator mounting brackets. Some how, i think are cars dig that...ok im crazy.
I would like to say this might be my last project, but i wouldnt mind picking up a sweptline dodge truck or even take an early A dart wagon that has some roof damage and making it into a wayfarer ute. I figure I invested enough money in tools to work on this car, why not at least do another one, right? That said, this car will have to be almost done before i even think about another, i dont want to get side tracked and over whelmed.
A truck would be easy, the wagon to wayfarer chop would require some skills and good thinking. I also wouldnt mind just having a dart wagon to pull my 13' scamp camper around either, the mini van does that now.

7f_1.jpg

CLASSICTRUCKSMAGAZINE%20Darryl.jpg

powertourbaceeds.jpg

vcuteo01.jpg

vcuteo02.jpg

thanks for posting those dodge truck pics,,very kool,,,,love that ute,,looks like A 66, where is the pic of the ute???

From down under. Australia. Heres few more. I have a file on my computer with wayfare pics. Some one was even nice enough to take pics of one apart and they showed me where it basically is a chopped up early A wagon. If i ever get good enough to chop one up, i have pics to referance. Of course id need some measurments also. Heres some pics.

No worries wagon fans, id only cut up one that maybe had some damage up top. I just think it would be cool to have one sense we never got any back in the day.

Robbie2.jpg

xllzz8.jpg

xlm0l0.jpg

zjjt35.jpg

AP6-3.jpg

AP6-6.jpg

AP6-4.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Well, heres some news, I was thinking of using a 66 cuda heater a/c box, but looking at the unit thats on ebay right now, i dont think it will fit. The back of the hemis intake comes up too high and the area where the a/c lines come out of the firewall would hit the intake. So if i want a/c, its after market, most likely Classic Auto Air. My only other option, is just to go without A/C. There is a guy on ebay who sells rebuilt ones pretty cheap. I would have to have a bracket made to replace the area where the compressor was mounted on my engine. If i find a pic, ill post it. It doenst look bad, but it may be what i have to go with if i dont use an A/C compressor.
My car is a convertible so going A/C-less for awhile wont be so bad. Older cars are more ventilated then newer ones with the vent windows and fresh-air boxs anyway right?
The other bit of news i have is, the battery WILL be going in the trunk, I just dont have the room in the enginebay. Any tips on doing that would be helpful, i have no experience in eletrical stuff.

Looks real good, keep up the pics and good work. You could of always spaced the k member down a little bit at the mounting points.

Shaved smoothed pinch weld.....and everything else!! It's a Demon, so a little different. Great project dodgenut64

100_1079 (3).jpg

100_1246 (2).JPG

Shaved smoothed pinch weld.....and everything else!! It's a Demon, so a little different. Great project dodgenut64

wow that engine bay looks great,, any more pics,, im soon going to be doing that same thing

Update time. The weather was nice so i had to work on the GT. OK, i got the lower rad support welded in (except for the sides). Everything came out well, the radiator is still center to the frame and as you can see by my little cardboard piece i have a good fillerneck to hood clearnace. I also made some grommets out of some heavy foam hoses I found. They turned out great, theyll give the radiator a softer ride, and they didnt mess with my fillerneck to hood clearance. I also cut an area out for the drain. The only thing i think i need to work on is the area where the prongs go through the lower rad support, i have a little play, i can wiggle the radiator abit by hand.

I wanted to see what kinda clearance i had with the front valance in place, and as you can see the prongs do not hit the front valance. However, i may cut them up abit so that if I were to hit something on the road that would push the valance up abit, it wont raise the radiator.

Well, i still have to weld the sides and do alot of grinding, so this should be it till next week or so.

lowersupport.jpg

hoodclearance2.jpg

hoodclearance.jpg

grommet.jpg

grommet2.jpg

valanceclearance.jpg

valanceclearance2.jpg

radiator is looking like it belongs there,, curious as to how many row it is,,

Thanks, its nice to be almost done with it. Not sure on the radiator rows, I went to ebay and was looking around at other 97 jeep grand cherokee radiators and some said 1 row, some said 2. My guess is, even if its one row, i dont think i will encounter any cooling problems with the right fan and shroud...........hopefully.

It being as wide as it is and originally for a small block v8 jeep, I dont think ill have any issues with it, but only time will tell. I do still need a good electric fan and shroud though. Im almost done grinding my welds, just a little touch up with the welder and im done with the radiator project. Next will probably be filling in the shock mount holes in the fenderwell.

I got my leaf spring hangers. They were supposed to be black, but came like this. They fit into the holes on my car, so I suppose they are the right ones. Still waiting on my shock mounts and rear brackets. Im also getting a pair of QA1 shocks for the rear. These set of hangers were cheaper then the other set I was looking at and they came with the studs pressed into place.

lsphanger.jpg

Got some more stuff delivered today. Im not sure if they are just painted black or powder coated, but the black is coming off the shock plates. I guess I can take all my new pieces in to get powder coated when i take the rearend housing and alterktion parts in (except for the hangers). QA1 shocks on the way.

shockplates.jpg

I have the same shock plates. They worked great. I drilled an extra pilot hole to match the leaf springs perch holes so that I could move my rear-end backwards by about 1 inch. This help center the larger wheels in the wheelwell. Hope that helps if you notice that your rear tires sit really close to the front edge of the rear wheel opening.

Thanks Dave, Ill keep that in mind. Do you think thats paint on them? I think it must be, because I wouldnt think powder coated parts would peel like that. I was thinking of getting them powder coated with all my other parts.
Summit just sent me an email saying my QA1s are on the way. I know all these parts Ive gotten recently arent exciting updates, but until things warmup, its all i got.

Damn, Summit is fast. Only two days to ship these. I also found a guy on ebay who builds leafsprings and he quoted me $160 for 2" de-arched springs with bushings. I am also looking into a third member, 741 case, 2.94 gears, open, fairly cheap. I figure i can try it out and if i dont like the gear ratio ill change it later when I want to get suregrip.

qa1s.jpg

you will want a limited-slip for sure. no peg-legging allowed!!!! They are painted as far as I can tell.

I will get suregrip later, but I can get into an open rear alot cheaper right now. If I like the 2.94 gear ratio Ill just add posi/suregrip to it later, but if i deside I want 3.23s Ill just start from scratch and have a whole different third member setup. I think the 2.94s might be just what im looking for for those long cruises I plan on taking. At least with the 8 3/4 I can change them out easily enough.
I know suregrip is the ****, but i can get the third member im looking at and de-arched springs for less then a used suregrip third member that would still need to be rebuilt.

I havent posted in awhile. As you can see by the pics, Ive been cleaning up abit around the front of the car. What I have left is the really tight stuff to get to. Besides taking a screw driver and hitting some of the dirt that was built up in some of the cracks, the other surface stuff is very hard to get to. Im gonna try to wash out the dirt and see what I have left. Anyone else have any ideas on how to get into the tight spots? Im trying to get as much surface stuff off so that i can apply the eastwood expoy primer I have on the way. After I have that on, Im gonna apply the raptor bedliner stuff. I gotta get some primer on the bare metal, its starting to get those tiny spots of rust forming here and there on the stuff i did early this winter.

rf1.jpg

rf2.jpg

rf3.jpg

rf4.jpg

rf5.jpg

rf6.jpg

rf7.jpg

rf8.jpg

rj1.jpg

I also took off my doors and trunk. Id like to take of my convertible frame, but havent looked into how to go about it yet. I will also be ordering my wheels within the next week or so. Im hoping to get all the undercarrriage cleaned up, primered and raptor lined this spring, and then by summer install the suspension so that by this fall the car should be sitting on the ground.
Lots of work to do yet. Do you guys think I should hit some of that hard to reach stuff with POR-15 and then go over it with the epoxy primer?

rj2.jpg

looks good. try sand blasting it. messy but works

-
Back