64 dart with 4 speed with o/d clutch linkage question

Manual Transmission & Clutch Discussions

1. Early a body

Early a body Active Member

Local Time:
    11:49 AM
    Hi everyone,

Put a od in a 64 dart has a 318 . The threaded cluch fork adjuster is in a funny angle. Not alighned with the clutch fork. i posted another question on here earlier but now have it all back in the car . I installed the od about 10 years ago and the z bar lenghened to make the clutch adjuster rod line up better with the fork. However this created a crazy hard pedal. So i took all the components from the bellhousing to fork from an old od setup I had installed in a 64 barracuda that alighned better and had a much better clutch pedal to press.

My question is the alighnment too far off between the z bar and the clutch fork?. The pedal pressure is great, I have not driven it yet but i am thinking i may not be able to get the car into gear with the alighnment being so far off. Everything up top is perfectly alighned. I am not sure why a 64 barracuda and a 64 dart have such a difference. Must be body height or something.

clutch.JPG

2. Slantsix64

Slantsix64 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:49 PM
  3. Early a body

Local Time:
    Thanks,

i have the bellhousing bracket, but it did nt alighn properly with the ball
    I have the plate that goes to the bellhousing, it was way off (moved to far to the rear of the car) so I used the 67 a body style on the bellhousing. , I can’t change to Brewers clutch fork bracket because the holes on the OD bellhousing for the fork bracket are in a different location than a non od bellhousing. There z bar, which I have used in the past is the same length from the tube down to the ground as the z bar I have, the difference is they moved the lever closer to the bellhousing

4. Slantsix64

Local Time:
    so let me see your using the later aluminum 10.5 flywheel bell housing correct?

5. Early a body

Local Time:

Yeah I am using the OD bellhousing, I just called Brewers they said I am basically out of luck, I guess I will have to use the longer z bar and just have one leg more muscular than the other.

6. Slantsix64

Local Time:
    Hm maybe you can convert to hydraulic style pedal?

7. trapster

trapster Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:49 PM
    I have a 340 with a iron 833 OD with a center force clutch in my 64 dart, I called brewers and they sent me a different fork pivot and Zbar. Seems to work fine except it hits my headers at the top.

Petal pressure is minimal and I removed the clutch return spring.

8. Early a body

Local Time:
    Do you happen to have photos of what this looks like on your car?

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.