64 Valiant Dash Speaker

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The AM radio in my little 64 works but plays sporadically because the speaker is shot. Does anyone know the impedance and size of the factory speaker so I don't have to get my fatass under the dash but once? I THINK it's a 4x10 and 8 ohms but I would like to be sure, so I can go ahead and get a replacement now. Thank you drive through.

Well, it's not a 6x9. I was sorta hopin it was. It's a 5x7. A toasted 5x7.
SPEAKER1.jpg

SPEAKER2.jpg

SPEAKER4.jpg

SPEAKER3.jpg

I seem to remember from my car audio days that the 4x10 was a GM thing. I would bet it's a 5x7. I'll crawl up under my wagon's dash tomorrow and see if there's anything remotely resembling a factory speaker.

I seem to remember from my car audio days that the 4x10 was a GM thing. I would bet it's a 5x7. I'll crawl up under my wagon's dash tomorrow and see if there's anything remotely resembling a factory speaker.

Well, grim might be right. It all depends on where I measure from. I always thought you measured from the mounting holes. If you measure it from end to end and side to side, it's certainly closer to 6x9.

most were 4 ohm /aftermarkets stereo most were 8ohm

Yes, originals were 4 ohm. An 8 ohm can be used as a replacement without adverse effects however.

According to what Crutchfield says, it depends on WHERE you measure from as to what size speaker you have. There seems to be no definitive one way to figure it out. I have a friend who owns a music store and he rebuilds speakers. I'm takin it to him Tuesday and see what he says. He might can just fix this one.

Your 64 will have a 6x9 4 ohm speaker in it.

Similar to: GRS 69AS-4 6" x 9" Car Replacement Speaker 4 Ohm 848864012193 | eBay

You are correct sir. It is (was) a 6x9. Glenn says they measure by the frame dimensions. He also measured the impedance and says it is actually a 6 ohm speaker, but he explained that the impedance isn't critical and is always changing depending on what frequency comes through it and demonstrated that by moving the cone up and down with the ohmmeter on it. His ohmmeter only measures AC but he said that DC is always about 2 numbers under the AC figure and that would put it at 6 ohms.

Whatever all that means, He's going to have me another speaker next Tuesday at men's chorus practice. He also bragged about the type of magnet it has and said it takes one of a much larger size conventional magnet to achieve the same strength. He called it something, but it escaped me. He's even going to swap over the connectors from the original speaker to the new one so I won't have to splice anything and it will plug right back in.

Thanks very much for your help!

-
Back