64dart170 "Baby" restore thread. She wanted one too!

-

64dart170

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Gonna start a restore thread on my 64dart170!
Baby was getting jelious of the others. I will be upgrading seats, windlace, and a whole bunch other stuff too. By end of 2010 she'll be good as brand new again!!
I will be posting pics of her going through a bunch of changes that took place before I even heard of FABO! Wish you guys were here then but I will try to get us cought up with what little pics I have from work already done pre FABO., so I wasn't really planning posting any where. Won't read as funny as our other cars threads. Just a quick pic history to show me progress but FABO can look too! Thanks for the place to put her history.
Baby has been through 3 winter with me as a daily driver. This winter was the first she didn't have to see salt.
I bought her on Ebay in the last 5 min of the auction. The bidding was only at $1600.00 and ever sense I bought the 69 with my son, I've wanted one for me like I had in High school. I had already cashed an old IRA and had money ready. I ran in a bid of $2250.00 and won it at $2200.00!
My son walked in the hjouse just whem me and ABB were frekin out about that moments win. He asked "Whats goin on did we win the lottery?" I said heck yea and check my winnings! He looked at the computer screen and said, "YOU... Just bought THIS CAR?
Yeap! shure did.
You finally lost it haven't ya John, buying sight unseen on Ebay? You're crazy" leaves the room laughing at me shaking his head.......
1 Week later it arrives by truck when I was an hour away at work. My neighbor called me and signed for it.
I got home and saw all these rust holes around back glass. Then the wet smell inside the car. I WAS IN LOVE!!!!:love7:

I've never looked back.

Check the pics for Baby's history so far. She is going to be Awesome when I getrdone this year. She gets a whole fresh paint job later too!

So without further adue I introduce (for those who don't already know her)
Baby to FABO! FABO, this is "BABY". I know too old to be a Baby but she likes to be babied and she makes her tires cry when she gets mad at someone!!!8)

Going to start with few pics of Baby art, then the first real picture of BABY I ever saw of her on EBAY at the Dodge dealer just outside Savanah GA.

I'll be adding to thread all weekend. Just a warning!

First pic to look like car in original move "Repo Man" LOL!!

check pic 64-1.jpg

johns pics 022.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

64 after windshields.jpg

Car Emblem 004.jpg

64 Dart 1.jpg

64 Dart 2.jpg

More pics, sorry not in correct order!8)
Repainted top of dash (while windshield was out) and vents with color correct "SUEDE" paint. Ruff and fuzzy paint was a new safety feature that year to cut glare! only few paint shops still mix.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

I think if those clips would have been painted or another material and the screw holes sealed the cars would be in a lot better shape.. JMO I lucked out on mine just some of the clips were rusted through and no major water got down in the frame. Thats the only place on the car that had me worried and the metal was 100% intact. I think this car is my favorite out of all the darts you guys have.

I think if those clips would have been painted or another material and the screw holes sealed the cars would be in a lot better shape.. JMO I lucked out on mine just some of the clips were rusted through and no major water got down in the frame. Thats the only place on the car that had me worried and the metal was 100% intact. I think this car is my favorite out of all the darts you guys have.

She's definitely my fave too! Sometimes I forget how much work I have done on her in the past. Didn't take the ammount of pics I normally would now. I just never thought I would meet a FABO site and need the picks!8)

OH babybabybabybabybabybabybabybaby!8)

There's YARD DAWG doing the welding. After I took pic, he let me do the rest of the welding! 1st time and did good. I did the whole patch inside the wheel well!

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

WOOOHOOOO!
New windlace ordered in teal with door seals! for 4 doors!!!!:cheers:
Mine is so raveled that in summer if I get my lean on, it looks as though I got teal dread locks extensions on my head with the teal lace blowing out the window like long teal hair!!:toothy10:
Always trim it off before each show! LOL!!:-D

Well it's finally time to take Baby to the next level, like the day she was born.
I have noticed the difference in trim pkgs between darts 170 and 270.
The 270 was the higher end option for trim, Chrome wise but not in style!
My point;
The 270's usually had extra chrome on door panels, dash boards, exterior, etc, but the interior material was usually black vinyl.
Baby's 170 interior seats have 3 different colored vinyls with wild fabric that has silver threads that shine in the sun, and chrome chords seperating the different vinyls and fabrick sections, WOW! compaired to the black vinyl and extra chrome in the 270 in 64. Look at photo copy pic 4.
When I get the seats done, she's gonna shine!!:cheers:
Will be getting commercial sewing equipment next week to start doing my own seat covers. I'm using old ones for stencils and don't trusy anyone with these expensive materials. If it get screwed up and cost me extra at least it's my fault and not some guy who is charging labor x 2 for the second time even though it was their fault! I screw it up my self and me and FABO will have a great learning experience and Aurora Darts will be doing seat covers from now on too!!!:cheers:

Here's some picks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Your car is worth every penny you put into it. My wife and I did a 64 Dart GT about 5 yrs ago and have nothing but fun with it in the summers up here in the northeast. We got ours after the car did not meet the reserve on ebay. I thought it was a diamond in the rough from the pics they had on ebay. I contacted the seller a few days after the auction and went and looked at the car a week later. I bought it and had it shipped from maryland to western ny. The car had 63000 origanal miles on it with the 273 and pushbutton auto. The car has 68000 now and just keeps getting better the more we drive it. Have fun with your car!!!

Your car is worth every penny you put into it. My wife and I did a 64 Dart GT about 5 yrs ago and have nothing but fun with it in the summers up here in the northeast. We got ours after the car did not meet the reserve on ebay. I thought it was a diamond in the rough from the pics they had on ebay. I contacted the seller a few days after the auction and went and looked at the car a week later. I bought it and had it shipped from maryland to western ny. The car had 63000 origanal miles on it with the 273 and pushbutton auto. The car has 68000 now and just keeps getting better the more we drive it. Have fun with your car!!!

Welcome to FABO!
cdgadart, I know exactly what you mean. Baby, eventhough was our workhorse for 2 years and saved our butts numerous times, continually gets better, looks better, and runs better the longer we own and the more we drive her. Latly though she has been enjoyig semi retirement and only going out of the barn on dry days finally!8)

75-86.jpg

75-87.jpg

WOOOHOOOO!
New windlace ordered in teal with door seals! for 4 doors!!!!:cheers:
Mine is so raveled that in summer if I get my lean on, it looks as though I got teal dread locks extensions on my head with the teal lace blowing out the window like long teal hair!!:toothy10:
Always trim it off before each show! LOL!!:-D

Here is some pics of the windlace we got. I'm posting for another FABO member who PM'd me about the problems he was having with fit on his. I will not be installing untill after I paint in a couple of weeks.
here's the pics!!:cheers:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Baby is a beauty...I really like the white roof for keeping the car cooler in the sun. The interior is beautiful too. Glad to know the windlace is still available...someday I'll order some....

You deserve a lot of credit for your fine work.

Hey FABO!
Well yesterday was Sunday March 20th.
1st day of spring and it was looking and feeling like it here!

Another member had asked me if Baby had her own restore thread and honestly, I am sorry to admit, I couldn't remember but I told them I thought I started one cause she was jelious of Fern.

I did a search and found us here.
1st I want to say sorry it's been so long.

She was put in the barn this winter and did not see a speck of salt and here studded snow tires were never put on! (finally)=D>

The pics so far in this thread were taken before FABO was in my life. We didn't even know you guys and gals were here. Sorry we live out in the sticks so we don't get out of the driveway much.
So the pics and format don't have the polished finished feel like the more recent restore work threads that were done and photographed while knowing they will be published here on FABO now. Also probibly not in cronological order. I see our son who owned our 69 working on Baby's floor in a few of the shots.

Alot of the members who know us , know we will not be able to afford the original seat material anytime soon. So I'll be saving up for suitable pre fab substitutes and try to install the aftermarket pre made seat covers by Aug1. We have sold 2 of our main drivers and the weather is clear now. Baby is out driving again. Although we HAVE to drive her EVERYTIME it rains now due to ABB's car not having a working wiper system.
So Baby will be getting touch up body work this year. We will also have to remove rear glass and redo some half assed rust repair I did 3 or 4 years ago. Well it wasn't all me, some half assed glass co. didn't seal the rear glass good when we had it out before so we'll be redoing this year.

I thought I would catch us up with the current pics I have of Baby. So what I have some of you have already seen. But for those FABO members who have not I'll post here now. So the most current pic and the most current technology we are using comes from our another thread here on FABO. It's a video we took for the thread called
CAR HUNT! FABOZENE:glasses2:
In the video, when we are first walking up to Baby, look at her rear pass side behind the rear tire at the rust repair we did earlier in this thread. I had some paint mixed, but the formula has been rewritten to be more generalized to be for a broader range of cars (have to go to my other paint store not NAPA) Anyway do you guys like the darker shade of "New formula" or the more faded blue-er teal of the rest of the car?
Any opinions let me kno, OK?
We'll be doing things to baby soon and I will post here when we do. Right now I'm trying to get our 74 "Lump" back out on the road again, or at least the fender back on!

Here's the vid, see ya'all soon!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZkO2aEnP8g&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Car Hunt #1 3-2-11.mp4[/ame]

-
Back