65 4 speed shifter boot

-
RD-636SB, 1963-1965 A-body Floor Shift type mounted rubber Shifter boot, $98.00 plus S&H....in stock and ready to ship

RD-636SB.JPG

MR-636TRRV, 1963-1965 A-body, 4 speed round chrome ring for shifter boot. Not a high Quality reproduction as far as the chrome is concerned. Normal production quality - not show chrome quality......$72.00....in stock and ready to ship

MR-636TRRV Shifter Boot Trim Ring.jpg

So the parts are reproduced - cool!
The '66 is different because it is an Inland shifter ( instead of Hurst ) and the hole thru the tunnel is oval ( not round as ' 65 & earlier).

The hardest thing for me to get was the bezel - the pot metal one that goes over that boot on 64-5. 6 years quietly looking and a run in with a scammer that cost me $350. Those should be reproduced...lol. Far as I'm concerned - if it's being sold reproduction, the cost is what it costs. If I'm not making or marketing them, pricing it isn't any of my F'ing business.

$72 for a Shifter Boot Bezel ??? I made (machined) one for my neighbor Tim's 63 Valiant 4 Speed / 225 six 4bbl out of Aluminum... And just polished it !!!! ( Screw the chrome ) And even supplied him with a Real boot... I should snap a picture of it some time... Hmmmm

If I'm not mistaken Clifcuda65 is the person that got me hooked on my scoop that I'm running....sending me pictures of his car from the 70's I do believe. I still have those pictures somewhere.

well rubb'r is out rages priced , buy of mine bought a new trunion joint for his 64 fury , he tried the whole thing installed and it shook the whole car like crazy , so we backed out the parts until it ran smooth . well we ended up with his old joint and the new boot , so we bring back the parts that were wrong , to get our refund . he paid 140 cash for this joint . so the guy hands him two twenties . fourty bucks . we look at the cash . as the guy says '' well the boots are a hundred bucks alone '' . thats one costly piece of rubb'r buds .

well rubb'r is out rages priced , buy of mine bought a new trunion joint for his 64 fury , he tried the whole thing installed and it shook the whole car like crazy , so we backed out the parts until it ran smooth . well we ended up with his old joint and the new boot , so we bring back the parts that were wrong , to get our refund . he paid 140 cash for this joint . so the guy hands him two twenties . fourty bucks . we look at the cash . as the guy says '' well the boots are a hundred bucks alone '' . thats one costly piece of rubb'r buds .
they must have some of that new pyrolactic stuff in them !

they got something by the b...ls i think . i used a cj jeep one before on a early a body shifter boot . can't say the same for the trunion joint boot . man it just the same matl's that cv joint boots are made from isn't it ?

It's not the material cost, IT'S THE TOOLING COST!
These type of things could be sold for less than 10 bucks if the tooling existed but someone has to pay to have the mold made. It gets passed on to the consumer.

Ahhh, Tim sent me a photo of the shifter bezel I machined a few years ago ... Aluminum billet .... I only used 2 screws... But could have used 3, but had nothing at that time to work from other then the shifter boot... It's thicker then the stamped steel bezel, so did not need 3 screws... Anyway, here it is... Tim's 4 speed 63 Valiant... Boot & Bezel⚓

21FBF78C-.jpg

does that work with a HURST or inland ....or both.

Thanks for the reply ...very interesting stuff as I am new to Early As

That is the right boot. 64 and 65 used the Hurst shifter. 66 went to the standard A Body boot and the Sorry Inland shifter. $100 for a boot is good. I sold an original torn boot for that much on eBay. At least you can get them.

Talking to Dave (Mycuda) about the Boot Ring I made for Tim... So this post is for " Mycuda Dave... "(Everyone else just ignore this post as I did not know how to send him photos of a proto type I machined this morning ) but since Dave refferanced my photo of Tim's Boot Ring on this thread... I'm plopping this here... Sorry!

The inside diameter radius is like the factory roadmap floor plate has... For clearance and to give it that "look"... Rather then just a flat plate... And by doing that, I can make the plate thicker...

20180317_142326.jpg
20180317_142624.jpg

And this bottom photo is the underside... Ball end mill relief spots to clear the screws holding down the Boot to tunnel... This T6061 aluminum Billet is a full .250 (quarter inch) thick... Would take a ton of torquing the screws to bend this !!! Unlike those thin steel ones they sell!!!!

So Dave???? What do You think? I never did find the sketch of the one I made for Tim a few years ago...

20180317_142846.jpg

Thats much better than the stock ****. by far. I actually would rather have this ring setup vs. bezel and shift pattern setup.
Thats awesome. how much for boot and ring as in photos?

Thats much better than the stock ****. by far. I actually would rather have this ring setup vs. bezel and shift pattern setup.
Thats awesome. how much for boot and ring as in photos?

Hmmmm... Just a proto type right now... Have to "test it" in my 65 ''cuda first... That Shifter Boot in photo has a rip in it... I need more time to play with it... See if I can do it quicker... On an Engine lathe (not CNC)... Takes time... $$$... Going to talk to my Buddy Chris ( who i taught to be a machinist years ago) now LRP (Lindsay Racing Products)... (Dragster Racing Wheels) if I can maybe run a few on his CNC... look up LRP on the web...
20180317_114757.jpg

-
Back