65 Barracuda 8 3/4 Rear help

-

Tim E

Reaction score
I just picked up an very nice complete 8 3/4 rear out of and 65 cuda very cheap. It has the 741 pumpkin 3.23 gear. I plan on going threw it being was junk yard buy. I have few questions first this should work in my 67 Cuda right? Also what should I do as far as axle seals and bearings? Would it be worth it to put posi in 741 case or get 742? I am going to use this in small block conversion. I am doing to my 67 Cuda nothing really wild maybe a 318 or 340(if can be found).

It will be a direct bolt in provided that you grabbed the U bolts and shock plates as well. The tube on an 8 3/4" is 3", the 7 1/4" only 2 1/2". As for the 741, if you want strong, and cheap, the 741 is the piece you need. Too many people look past them thinking they are a weak rearend, when in fact they are plenty strong, especially for an A body!

Last edited:
It will be a direct bolt in provided that you grabbed the U bolts and shock plates as well. The tube on an 8 3/4" is 3", the 7 1/4" only 2 1/2". As for the 741, if you want strong, and cheap, the 742 is the piece you need. Too many people look past them thinking they are a weak rearend, when in fact they are plenty strong, especially for an A body!
I didnt get the shock plate or u clamps. Any help on sellers of them would help mainly on shock plate. At $730 for it couldnt pass up the rear.

dont change 3rd member for strength, its plenty strong for a mild V8 in a light car. There are gear selection concerns with certain carriers but its trivial for most popular gear ratios. $730 for the rear at a junk yard? Whats left of that 65 as its probably a 4sp.

I just picked up an very nice complete 8 3/4 rear out of and 65 cuda very cheap. It has the 741 pumpkin 3.23 gear. I plan on going threw it being was junk yard buy. I have few questions first this should work in my 67 Cuda right? Also what should I do as far as axle seals and bearings? Would it be worth it to put posi in 741 case or get 742? I am going to use this in small block conversion. I am doing to my 67 Cuda nothing really wild maybe a 318 or 340(if can be found).

As already stated, it will bolt right into your 67 no problem with the correct shock plates and "U" bolts. Yes to putting a sure-grip into the chuck, cone or clutch will work; if you get a used cone style, check it or have it checked over carefully, they are not easily rebuilt.
Axel bearings, flip a coin to stay with the factory original style tapered roller bearings OR go with the "Green" bearings, either style are available.

Good luck!

Get a SG for sure, any SG. They interchange between all chunks. I actually prefer the cone types for a city car; I can set them up exactly the way I want.
And 3.23s with short tires, with a peppy 318 is a blast in a lightweight A. If you really need/want more; IMO go straight to a 360. Do not waste time looking for a 340.

Well.................lol.............. You can make a lotta torque with a 340 and a tiny cam. And that would double your fun-factor pretty quick. But I sure wouldn't hold out for a 340, when a 360 can be had real cheap. If you go 318,I highly recommend that if you up-cam it, that you also increase the compression for best results in a street-car.

Don't forget, your driveshaft is gonna be too long.

Yea I got it for $730 complete from Leon's Junk Yard in VA(Last one). Tony from Tonys Parts quoted me $800 for a case not to mention ebay with is 500-900 bucks for just case. I plan to change over to disc in rear along with front do the normal slant6-SB V8 conversion. I did see on mancini they had the shock plates new just wanted suggestions on best ones. I plan on taking the rear to shop and letting them go threw it replace everything but I like to have parts with me. I have worked on few mopars like 69 Road Runners (what I used to have)and few b bodys (66 Sat) and few a body's but this is the first conversion. want to make sure that how I do it will be best. I plan to keep the 3.23 gear being my Road Runner I had had it and never had any issue with it. I have a great drive shaft place in my area that makes them as well as custom ones for jeeps.

Yea I got it for $730 complete from Leon's Junk Yard in VA(Last one). Tony from Tonys Parts quoted me $800 for a case not to mention ebay with is 500-900 bucks for just case. I plan to change over to disc in rear along with front do the normal slant6-SB V8 conversion. I did see on mancini they had the shock plates new just wanted suggestions on best ones. I plan on taking the rear to shop and letting them go threw it replace everything but I like to have parts with me. I have worked on few mopars like 69 Road Runners (what I used to have)and few b bodys (66 Sat) and few a body's but this is the first conversion. want to make sure that how I do it will be best. I plan to keep the 3.23 gear being my Road Runner I had had it and never had any issue with it. I have a great drive shaft place in my area that makes them as well as custom ones for jeeps.
When it came time for driveshaft shortening I put the car on the trailer and took to driveshaft shop so they could measure- made a whole new shaft- did not cut down old one

It will be a direct bolt in provided that you grabbed the U bolts and shock plates as well. The tube on an 8 3/4" is 3", the 7 1/4" only 2 1/2". As for the 741, if you want strong, and cheap, the 741 is the piece you need. Too many people look past them thinking they are a weak rearend, when in fact they are plenty strong, especially for an A body!
I reccommend Dr Diff for parts and great info-

Does anyone know of any makers of a disc brake converson that is 5x4 pattern that will fit 14in wheels? i really dont want to have to change my rallies to 15in and 5x41/2. I opened up the rear it showed no wear at all and have place in town that does offroad stuff that is going to go threw it put in a Detroit lockers sg style system and so on.

Does anyone know of any makers of a disc brake converson that is 5x4 pattern that will fit 14in wheels? i really dont want to have to change my rallies to 15in and 5x41/2. I opened up the rear it showed no wear at all and have place in town that does offroad stuff that is going to go threw it put in a Detroit lockers sg style system and so on.
SSBC allows use of 14 inch SBP rallye wheels

SSBC allows use of 14 inch SBP rallye wheels
Is that for rear? I can get the front kit for like 600-700 with master for 5x4 and will fit 14in wheel but havent see any for rear that will. All the ssbc kits i have seen that fit 14in are 5x4 1/2 pattern.

Last edited:
Is that for rear? I can get the front kit for like 600-700 with master for 5x4 and will fit 14in wheel but havent see any for rear that will. All the ssbc kits i have seen that fit 14in are 5x4 1/2 pattern.
nope- the front- I missed that it was for the rear????

-
Back