65 Barracuda Dash - Anyone Customize?

-

ProTouringCuda

Reaction score
Starting to think about the dash in the Barracuda. I purchased a 4 gauge dash on ebay, but it arrived damaged - man that plastic cracks easily. I'm also not very sure if that dash originally came in a Barracuda or not. In any case, after receiving it damaged, I'm sending it back and am thinking about doing a custom instrument panel.

Anyone do customizing on their '65 Dash? Post a pic!

Oh, and here's my stock dash, covered in 40 years of dust.

20180209_185130.jpg

What's the chain for?
Fancy pedal set up? what is the intent of the car?
Nice floor rework.
Joe

What's the chain for?
Fancy pedal set up? what is the intent of the car?
Nice floor rework.
Joe

Hey Joe:

(q) What's the chain for?
(a) The chain is for lifting the car off the chassis. The body is currently mounted on a rotisserie, and this is a body on frame conversion. See my build thread in the member restorations forum "Orange Krate"

(q) Fancy pedal setup?
(a) Yes, indeed it is. The firewall has been moved back significantly. I went this route for ease of use/installation.

(q) What is the intent of the car?
(a) Well, when you look at the other thread, it'll become clear. Hint: look at my username.

(s) nice floor rework.
(r) thanks. It's required with the BOF conversion.

The plastic will glue back together easily if you brush a little methyl ethyl keytone into the cracks then clamp or hold together till dry. Its like a solvent adhesive. Melts and reglues the original plastic. Resist the urge to use superglue. The MEK is better. You can buy it at Lowes by the gallon. It makes a great paint gun cleaner solvent. Honestly though, if going pro touring why not just use the plastic gage panel border, and gutted out diecast gage housing and make a sheetmetal insert you can glue into the plastic border with JB weld that has holes for autometers, or custom made speedhut gages. You can always cut the back out of the diecast housing if the gages are longer, and use the jb welded on sheetmetal insert as a surface mount for the gages. Harley Davidson has nice small round indicator lights made by solico that have international symbols in them. Green arrows, blue high beam symbol etc.

Last edited:
I made my own custom dash for a 64 Barracuda years ago. I’ll add pictures this weekend. 1/4 inch birch plywood, Stewart Warner tach, speedometer, and vacuum gage. A couple hole saws and done.

I made my own custom dash for a 64 Barracuda years ago. I’ll add pictures this weekend. 1/4 inch birch plywood, Stewart Warner tach, speedometer, and vacuum gage. A couple hole saws and done.

Yeah - I'm thinking now the same way - see below.

Honestly though, if going pro touring why not just use the plastic gage panel border, and gutted out diecast gage housing and make a sheetmetal insert you can glue into the plastic border with JB weld that has holes for autometers, or custom made speedhut gages. You can always cut the back out of the diecast housing if the gages are longer, and use the jb welded on sheetmetal insert as a surface mount for the gages. Harley Davidson has nice small round indicator lights made by solico that have international symbols in them. Green arrows, blue high beam symbol etc.
Yeah - I've decided to make my own out of Stainless. I'll post pics of the progress. I'm thinking of adding a drop to the dash as well, where the radio is located, so that I can get a double DIN screen in there. All of the original trime will also be converted to stainless.

-
Back