65 Barracuda electronic ignition, orange box, ballast resistor questions

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Getting close on my 65 Barracuda....I purchased a engine side wiring harness from Classic industries that is built for an electronic ignition swap. Using the Mancini Racing electronic ignition and orange box kit. Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit That kit comes with the wiring harness that connects to the orange box and a harness that leads to the distributor, coil, starter etc. The wiring harness I purchased from Classic has a clean connection to the orange box with the hard wired ends finished (pictured).
IMG-5588.jpg

IMG-5587.jpg

First question: The Classic Ind. harness is set up for a 4 pin ballast resistor, I connected the pre finished wires as pictured, with no orientation reference. Is this correct or is there an input/output to the ballast resistor wiring?
IMG-5590.jpg
Next question is the connections to the bulkhead.. The kit only has the yellow wire (attached as pictured), big, black wire which I assume connects to the lug in the middle and ends up at the end of my harness connecting to the starter, and the purple wire which connects to the main 12V power lug. Looking at my old bulkhead wiring, I see a short wire from the drivers side lug on the bulkhead to the main 12V power lug....I just need to do that again, correct? My last connection to the large 12V power lug is from the battery. What I am missing is that there is no connector for the top left spade on the ignition mod. or anything I can see that wires to the passenger side spade on the bulkhead connector. Here is that image:
IMG-5585.jpg
This is all new to me, so I am counting on my Mopar friends to help me sort this out and do things the right way. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Happy New Years!

Did that harness not come with deestruckshuns? The "ignition mod" you refer to is not an ignition mod. That's the starter relay. Starting with the left upper terminal on the relay where you have nothing connected. Ground, ignition, the terminal with the bracket on it starter, then large lug battery.

Get an FSM from a 65 and a 72 and compare ignition/Starter circuits. The ECU plug only goes on one way so your good there. There is no in-out on the ballast resistor but the plugs should only go in one way as the 2 ballast resistors are different values and the plugs are keyed so they 'face' each other. the wire length is the clue. As for the starter. There should be a hot to the starter solenoid/relay and then a large gauge to the starter as well as a trigger line from the ignition switch, starting circuit did not change over time.

No Deconstructions that include the wiring using this type of kit, plenty of info if I was to run the wiring straight out from the orange box. just trying to read old service manual wiring schematics and apply it to this electronic ignition system. Starter relay....Got it
Thanks

The two blue wires are probably spliced together under the harness tape.
The diagram will show these as Ignition 1; which is the circuit for ignition and alternator power.
The brown wire is almost certainly Ignition 2, power for the coil and ECU when key is in start.
upload_2019-12-29_15-42-36.png

From your pictures, my guess is the harness looks something like this.
upload_2019-12-29_16-3-53.png

On your '65, make sure the battery feed/charge connects to the terminal leading to the ammeter. The alternator lead connects the terminal that leads direct to the main splice (big dot in diagram)

On the factory diagrams, wires starting with
J usually is for ignition circuits, but in the early 70s also includes switch feed.
R relates to alternator
A usually relates to battery

-
Back