65 barracuda nightmare

-

Burnnin Charlies

Reaction score
Hey everybody stuff only found how to make a post so I have a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda it originally came with a slant 6 and we are trying to install a 360 V8 into the engine bay where can I find the motor mounts to do the Slant six to the v8 conversion because the motor mounts that I found very short and they are not high enough for the big bigger motor for the headers to clear other things any information would be greatly appreciated I would greatly greatly appreciate it I have the VIN number I will post the picture of the VIN number with this post to give you an idea of what exact car I have again any kind of information I've been on the hunt for about a a few months

20210720_184233.jpg

20210224_225603.jpg

If you don't have a V8 center link in your front suspension, that is going to cause you clearance issues with the oil pan also. Good luck with the build.

Hey everybody stuff only found how to make a post so I have a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda it originally came with a slant 6 and we are trying to install a 360 V8 into the engine bay where can I find the motor mounts to do the Slant six to the v8 conversion because the motor mounts that I found very short and they are not high enough for the big bigger motor for the headers to clear other things any information would be greatly appreciated I would greatly greatly appreciate it I have the VIN number I will post the picture of the VIN number with this post to give you an idea of what exact car I have again any kind of information I've been on the hunt for about a a few months

View attachment 1715775554

View attachment 1715775555

Looks like an exciting build!
Not trying to be nit picky, but punctuation help my head not spin so badly my friend.
Keep at it!!

What you've posted so far is a fender tag, not the VIN tag. The fender tag indicates it was originally a 273 2bbl car.

You just need 273 motor mounts and brackets. 1964 to 1966. One side needs to be modified. 360's have an offset balance weights on the vibration damper and torque convertor or flex plate.

66fs is correct, just a spacer on the passenger side to get the 360 to bolt up. Get the thick "brick" 65 insulators (top) instead of the thin 'sandwich' ones for more center link clearance. The 65 didn't have a unique K for the slant and the V8. What trans are you going to use? Get a 360 904/998/999 (or a 360 balanced convertor) if you can find one out of a later 360 Cordoba or something. The 727 will fit but it will be very tight around the tunnel seam, must pound it flat. <68 trans had a smaller hub on their convertors to match the early 273 small crank bore. youll have to get a convertor snout bushing to run an early trans on a 360. Headers are going to be an issue as there are only a few $$$ headers that fit that combo. Magnum logs are a good cheap option. Good luck, Its a bolt in but there are a few 'gotchas'.
a-body-motor-mount-pic-3-jpg.jpg
a2266_ang__ra_p.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

I wouldnt think twice about ditching headers for a set of manifolds that fit. I have a set of headers, but decided its a battle i dont want to deal with. I could care less about the sound or change in horsepower.

I dunno I installed "Factory style" exhaust from Accurate, and I must say the sound takes a bit of getting used to after headers and 2.5 pipes out the back with Walker Dyno max...OP dont look at it as a "nightmare" its a learning experience...in the end it may cost you because Mopars aren't cheap. But the fellers here will help you out if you need parts post a wanted thread.

... <68 trans had a smaller hub on their convertors to match the early 273 small crank bore. youll have to get a convertor snout bushing to run an early trans on a 360...

Correct but to say it a different way, 67 and earlier automatic transmissions.

I did that swap with a 340, back in about 73. I just took both the mounts and the bracket off the 273 and it fit just right. the 360 mounting ears are the same as the 340 ones.
But I used Hooker fenderwell headers, which cramped the street tires. I think Hooker makes a set now, that two or three pipes go down in the usual way and the other(s) go thru the apron, sounds like the problem is solved. Pn5208 rings a bell.... but IDK.
The gas pedal thew me a curve tho, going into a former slanty car, nothing worked. No worries I just robbed a Duster or something.
Then the KD was another hurdle. I had to get all the stuff off the Duster car. You will need the 4bbl stuff, unless you have a high rise intake, then a custom bracket will be needed.
After that It was pretty smooth sailing.
One thing I shouldda done tho was get bigger T-bars. Those slanty bars were a handful.

5208's are 318 port size. They wont seal up on a 340-360 port. AMHIK......Unless I got a set that was drilled wrong as the bottoms of the 340 Ex. gaskets were always burned out as the port extended below the 5208 header flange. Just go with 360 manifolds.

Looks like an exciting build!
Not trying to be nit picky, but punctuation help my head not spin so badly my friend.
Keep at it!!

No kiddin. I didn't even read it.

-
Back