65 Barracuda rolls when in park

-

JSL298

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven’t spent much time looking into this, but have an issue with my 65 Cuda. 273 2bbl automatic. Trans shifts great, reverse good. Only issue is that it rolls in park. Is this an easy fix. Any help will be appreciated.

I haven’t spent much time looking into this, but have an issue with my 65 Cuda. 273 2bbl automatic. Trans shifts great, reverse good. Only issue is that it rolls in park. Is this an easy fix. Any help will be appreciated.
Only guessing here, but it has 2 shift cables, one is for park. Either needs adjustment or its broken.
I have the same transmission, but its in the spare parts pile.

Check this shift rod here. Sometimes it gets bent over all the years of jamming it into park.
D
20190611_205522.jpg
Disconnect the linkage at the collum to see if you can then move the linkage on the transmission all the way into the park position. If you can get it into park and the wheels don't turn great! Then lay that linkage rod on a bench and measure it to get a base line measurment. Then you can straighten it a bit to add maybe 1/4" or so to the length. Might have to play with a bit to get it just right. Hope that's all it is and that this will help.
This is on a 72 Scamp but the fix should be similar. Steve

There is no shift linkage on this car. It is two cables as previously mentioned. For some reaon the park cable is not allowing the parking pin to engage. Maybe a kinked or stuck cable, bad adjustment, broken park mechanism on back of transmission.......

There is no shift linkage on this car. It is two cables as previously mentioned. For some reaon the park cable is not allowing the parking pin to engage. Maybe a kinked or stuck cable, bad adjustment, broken park mechanism on back of transmission.......
My guess is an adjustment is needed or, but hopefully not a broken parking pawl.

check the trans and engine mounts for broken or wore out if they have moved will be hard to get into park at times

Go to the FSM and do the adjustment procedure, the cable of mine stretched.

As Tooljunkie said, there are 2 cables, 1 for shifting and 1 for park. The park mechanism is right behind the pan, there is a bolt on the cover that clamps the cable. Not a lot of adjustment, but might be enough. Inside the "box" there is a spring-wrapped sleeve that the cable pops into, and the tang on the end of that spring attatches the cable to the pawl mechanism. Something inside may have come apart, but I've been into a few of these and never found anything amiss. If you take it apart, the gaskets are available, but only from a few vendors. I may still have a couple spares. Is there any adjutment in the shifter (I'm assuming it's a console)? My experience is limited to column/pushbutton shifted units. Good luck, Karlin.

20190403_100404.jpg

20180703_174459.jpg

20180703_180920.jpg

20180704_074106.jpg

Well. I have found the problem. The cable is broken at the console. Hoping someone out there has one available?

Is it broken right where the cable meets the fitting? That seems to be a common spot. If that's where it is broken I have welded them and they have worked successfully.

Is it broken right where the cable meets the fitting? That seems to be a common spot. If that's where it is broken I have welded them and they have worked successfully.
It appears to be missing about an inch of cable. The eyelet is not even there.

AFE0A0B9-428C-4F72-BC93-15A8446F5CB3.jpeg

4BECCED1-E3B4-429B-A8AC-4B9BD97D5014.jpeg

New update. I don’t recommend this repair as it took about 8 hours to get right. It can be done though. Used 3/16” brake line. Crimped to existing cable. Flattened and drilled proper size hole. We’ll see how long it last. Not willing to spend $250 for a new cable.

9FB11BB5-9A0D-41DE-9F77-6343D9D6F860.jpeg

B1FE6E3F-4BA5-49E8-8A0A-A96E24BB9B50.jpeg

5DA8268C-3489-4F0D-A938-2AEBE83364B1.jpeg

Dang, that looks as good as crimped on lugs. Heat it up and flood with solder and it'll probably outlast the trans. :thumbsup:

-
Back