[WANTED] 65 Barracuda Steering column, for P/S and foor shift auto

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a 4speed column then why do you need a new one? Did I read 4peed to auto floor converted already ?

If you have a 4speed column then why do you need a new one? Did I read 4peed to auto floor converted already ?
the previous owner had converted the car from a 4 speed to auto with a B&M shifter on the floor. When my buddy and I pulled the steering column to correct the play in the steering adapter, we noticed that the column had been cut. No lower bearing where he had cut it for some reason. Now I just want to make it right for my dad. Hope that explains why?

the previous owner had converted the car from a 4 speed to auto with a B&M shifter on the floor. When my buddy and I pulled the steering column to correct the play in the steering adapter, we noticed that the column had been cut. No lower bearing where he had cut it for some reason. Now I just want to make it right for my dad. Hope that explains why?

There is no lower bearing for a 63-66 column. Just a rubber seal with a built-in plastic bushing. It keeps engine heat out of the column (and interior), but really isn't necessary to center the column - I ran without one for years.

mvc-324s.jpg

These are reproduced today, so you can buy a new one.

Last edited:
The seal snaps on over a lip at the lower end of the column. If that's been cut off, that could be a problem for using the seal. On mine, I shortened the column for header clearance by cutting the column several inches from the bottom, then using a pipe expander on the bottom piece so it could slip over the rest of the column. That way, the column was shorter, but I got to keep the lip at the bottom and could used the factory lower seal. Looked like this.

Oct 14, 2017 5.jpg

In the car:

20200125_121528.jpg

The seal snaps on over a lip at the lower end of the column. If that's been cut off, that could be a problem for using the seal. On mine, I shortened the column for header clearance by cutting the column several inches from the bottom, then using a pipe expander on the bottom piece so it could slip over the rest of the column. That way, the column was shorter, but I got to keep the lip at the bottom and could used the factory lower seal. Looked like this.

View attachment 1715757086

In the car:

View attachment 1715757087
I've ordered the seal/bushing etc. Hopefully once they arrive along with the firewall gasket and coupler rebuild kit, we can get it all back together without any play. Also the wiring running through the shaft is crap and the signal return switch is missing which is why I'm considering replacing the entire column. Really appreciate the info you provided.

You can replace the switch and wiring. Either NOS (kind of expensive, like over $200)
View attachment 1715757208

or reproduction for a bit over $100.

Example of the repop: MD2138 - 1963-66 Mopar A/B-Body; Turn Signal Switch; without Tilt; 7 Wire Switch

You can also get just the nylon cam for about $20.

View attachment 1715757209
I'll definately stick to the repop if necessary. I've located a steering column in western Canada. The seller isn't sure if it came out of a A body or not and not sure if it's for a P/S car with auto. It does have the return switch so the question is how can I confirm it's the right column for my dad's 65? Do I ask him to measure the overall length?

Assuming it's an A body column, the column housing should be the same either way. The shaft itself would be a different length, power to manual, with (relying on memory here, which for me is dangerous) the power shaft being shorter.

I'm pretty sure a B body column would have a different length housing. I have an example of each, guess I could go out and measure them to be sure.

But yeah, I'd ask the seller to measure the length of his housing and his shaft (no pun intended). Then you just compare what he's got to yours (ditto).

On the switch, might want to make sure the ends of the cam aren't broken off, and also that the little wheel thingy is intact.

Photos and specs of the column you have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back