65 Barracuda

-

Mac Jensen

Reaction score
Recently picked up a 1965 Barracuda. The history of the car is an older man bought the car and kept it under his car port and never drove it. I remember my dad always talking about it every time we drove by it, which was everyday because it was on the same road as us. The guy also had an 1985 Jeep scrambler(CJ8) right next to the Barracuda. Two years ago the man passed away. His family wasn't interested in the cars so they decided to sell them. My dad bought the scrambler which only had 60K original miles. The Barracuda was traded for labor around the property. A couple months ago I found the guy that had the car and he decided he would let it go for 3K. I bought it and drove it home that day. The car is a factory 4 speed 273. It has 75K original miles. It is a pretty clean car. Radio, wipers, and gauges all work still. The body is super straight. The only rust that I have noticed is on the front valence under my bumper and on the rear fenders. Which is just some surface rust. Interior is pretty good. The driver side door panel is the only thing that has a rip. Carpet needs a good cleaning. Started having some carb issues with it and decided instead of messing around more with the 273, I would rather put my time into something with a little more hp. I found a LA 360 that I am buying from a local guy. Will be doing a 8 3/4 rear axle. Disc brake conversion on the front. I will be keeping the A833 4 spd. So basically this thread was started to one document the build and two hopefully recieve advice and suggestions from other members about the build. What I am hoping to do with this car is make it streetable but also be able to throw down a respectable 1/4 mile time. I will post some pictures and update as I go. I am not new to cars but this will be my first real project. I appreaticate any input along the way. Thanks! -Mac

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

Picked up the 360 yesterday. Mostly stock. Was told it had 340 cam and ported heads. Valve covers, water pump, and fuel pump on the way. Dipstick needs replaced. Think I can use the one from the 273. Found a 130 tooth 10.5" weighted fly wheel. Looking for a bellhousing to match. I have 2 different 4 brl manifolds to choose from, a Holley street dominator and an old offenhauser dual port. However I found a tunnel ram setup with 2 Holley 450's. If anybody has any input on those that would be great. Good or bad. I have heard they are impossible to tune for street, but have also heard that's not true and can be good. Started pulling the 273 and found that it does not want to separate from the input shaft. Bell housing is completely unbolted. Motor mounts are completely out. All other wires and hoses disconnected. Manifold off on drivers side. What am I missing? Anyone have a tip on separating the block from tranny? I need all the info I can get. I'll keep updating as I go.

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Remove the bolts, you will find it much easier

Engine and tranny are pulled! I have a lot to do still but things are moving along. Started to clean the tranny to get it ready for some paint. Pretty cool to see 65 stamped on it. Next is getting the 360 ready to drop in. I have been tossing a lot of ideas around. I know the front end bushings needs to be replaced. However I want to convert it to disc brakes and I know I need different parts for that. I know the answer is on the forum somewhere Still looking for an 8 3/4 rear end. I know it sounds horrible but I already have a 9" sitting on the shelf. Go easy on me... Starting to order some stuff.

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Rebuilding the front end is easy. You can order the completed kit from PST. Not that expensive and everything you need.

Update for anyone still interested in this ol’ Barracuda. Things are coming together. Ford 9” is being narrowed. 389 gears, spool, and moser shafts. Couple of engine components bolted on like high flow water pump, valve covers, headers(for now) and other small things.

A629C6DB-A1C0-4BDE-A230-FCC829CC5D1F.jpeg

BDCD4BD5-9F05-4702-864A-05E501EA70A4.jpeg

07C25D04-33C0-4345-9633-218CBCAF4828.jpeg

5660368E-BD6F-4D65-BC1E-C19DC8A40F7F.jpeg

391B27B2-9D1C-4DAE-BE4D-6EE0D1DA14D5.jpeg

5ABFB676-4794-47F7-B1B0-39671D7C9F4C.jpeg

04975496-65DC-485B-837F-7A51624C81A1.jpeg

Looks like a nice car to start with. What flywheel/bellhousing are you going to use with the 360? 360 is externally balanced and the 273 is internal balance. Have you tried the headers in the car? The early a-bodies 64-66 take some pretty unique headers. Just trying to help a fellow Washington Barracuda owner

Looks like a nice car to start with. What flywheel/bellhousing are you going to use with the 360? 360 is externally balanced and the 273 is internal balance. Have you tried the headers in the car? The early a-bodies 64-66 take some pretty unique headers. Just trying to help a fellow Washington Barracuda owner

I got the 10.5” bellhousing to use. I talked to the guys at brewers performance and they got me setup on the whole conversion. The fly wheel is externally balanced and has the correct weight. I bought that new with some ARP bolts. The headers are (for now). I’m going to be putting a straight axle under it so the inner fenders will be cut out. As far as clearing the steering and framework I will have to see.

Sounds like you've done your homework on the swap. Please don't cut up this car and put a straight axle in it! It looks too clean.

-
Back