65 cuda

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Can you guys help me?
I ordered some chrome parts off ebay and when they came they appear to have been sprayed with a primer or something. It is a reddish color and hard to remove. I soaked them in a detegent solution to clean the parts and used a paint thinner but to no avail. You can scrape it off the flat surfaces but the indentions of the letters is hard to get to. Any ideas.
Thanks

Whenever I need to clean chrome, including rust or pits, I always start with coke in a can. The phosphoric acid in the coke breaks down the rust paint etc without harming the chrome. For the small hard to get to areas use a stiff scrub brush or even an old toothbrush. Rather than scraping the larger areas try crinkling up some tin foil into a ball and using that to avoid marring the chrome. If you can, soak what you need cleaned in the coke and then keep putting it back in from time to time if whats on there is coming off in layers. Good luck!!

I have used 0000 steel wool and chrome polish to restore the finish on chrome and stainless steel parts.

I have used 0000 steel wool and chrome polish to restore the finish on chrome and stainless steel parts.

God I love that stuff too!!! I cant tell you how many times over the years Ive been able to save scratched or fogged window glass with it. The only place that I can find it at a decent price anymore is by ordering it online through Harbor Freight. $11 for a 50 ft roll.

Thanks for the advise. I can always count on my A-Body friends for help. Will post photos soon. Thanks

-
Back