65 Dart 273 hi-po. Are these 9 or 10 inch drums?

-

Stumpy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The outside is 11 so I’m guessing 10s.

15036683-E402-4AE8-876A-5FE1733E3A95.jpeg

Can’t know without popping the drums off? I read there was supposed to be markings on the outside of the drum that indicate size?

Can’t know without popping the drums off? I read there was supposed to be markings on the outside of the drum that indicate size?
I don't think so. But like you said, if the overall is 11'' inside should be 10"

Aren't all the 9 inch front drums the ones with fins all over them?

i had a 65 273 dart, it had 10" drums on it, it was a hipo 273, does yours have 13 wheels?

i had a 65 273 dart, it had 10" drums on it, it was a hipo 273, does yours have 13 wheels?
It did have 13”. All 65s had 13s. Even the Chargers with Cragars. It has 14” Rallyes right now.

So slide the drums off and measure. It's a five minute job.

9 inch drums are ok on a 13 inch wheel or 14 with 4.5 rim, as on my 71 demon. but, with 5.5 rallyes the car may have a hard pedal ,and
1971 demon 14 april 2020.jpg
it takes a long time to stop.

Re the brake drums all 65 A-bodys had 9" drums up til mid October when 10" brakes arrived on the scene w/273 V8 or heavy duty brakes.

So, you've added QA-1 control arms & KYB shocks but your still running 9" drums??? WTH???

KYB shocks were $25/ea. QA1 was about the same price as rebuilding my factory stuff. 9" drums stop the car without having to replace my wheels before I decide what I want to replace them with.

The outside is 11 so I’m guessing 10s.

View attachment 1715956802
That looks like a 10". Some are stamped with the max diameter allowed on the flat surface between the studs. It only takes a few minutes to pop the grease cap off, remove the cotter pin and outer bearing, then slide the whole hub and drum assembly off. If you're going to do a brake job, you're going to need to know whether the drum is still within specs anyway. You'll also want to check the condition of the brake hardware, wheel cylinder, and bearings, so, pull it off and check everything.

They’re 10”. Look at the difference in the shoe width between yours and BK Cow Gods 9”. Also, a quick look inside and you’ll find that there are no push rods for the wheel cylinders to push out the shoes, 9” had an embossment right on the shoe that sat right on the piston inside the wheel cylinder. And, the size of the dust cap also gives it away, 9” uses a much smaller dust cap than the 10”

Re the brake drums all 65 A-bodys had 9" drums up til mid October when 10" brakes arrived on the scene w/273 V8 or heavy duty brakes.

Weird. My car was built in June 65 but it has 10” brakes confirmed. I guess they could have been upgraded at some point.

You will need to measure. Couple be either.

And it's hard to believe those drums are that far out of balance. Those weights will prevent some wheels from fitting flat on the hub.
I was thinking the same thing. As small as they are, how could they be? lol

-
Back