65 Dart manual steering box

-

Avispa

Reaction score
I had the 65 Dart delivered today. First thing it's needing is a manual steering box, doubt I could keep it on a two lane highway, So, my question is what year boxes will fit this car, would you recommend a new or rebuilt box or used box?

Thanks.

I had the 65 Dart delivered today. First thing it's needing is a manual steering box, doubt I could keep it on a two lane highway, So, my question is what year boxes will fit this car, would you recommend a new or rebuilt box or used box?

Thanks.
OK, looks like a 62 to 72 manual boxes will fit, another question, it list a 65 dart with a V8 manual box, this car was originaly a /6, are the boxes different, if so, in what way.

Thanks.

I’d probably go with a rebuilt box by Furm Feel or Steer and Gear. Get it rebuilt with your choice of 16, 20 or 24 to one ratio.

OK, looks like a 62 to 72 manual boxes will fit, another question, it list a 65 dart with a V8 manual box, this car was originaly a /6, are the boxes different, if so, in what way.

I can’t say for slant/V8 A body boxes but I’ve heard B Body V8 boxes were stronger than slant boxes due to internal bearings. As you mentioned all 62-72 boxes fit and are the same externally.

I’d probably go with a rebuilt box by Furm Feel or Steer and Gear. Get it rebuilt with your choice of 16, 20 or 24 to one ratio.

I can’t say for slant/V8 A body boxes but I’ve heard B Body V8 boxes were stronger than slant boxes due to internal bearings. As you mentioned all 62-72 boxes fit and are the same externally.

Found a quick ratio 16:1 new, for 339.00 free shipping. Don't think there's any sense in putting a used one in and having almost the same problem. I would go PS, but I would have to dig up brackets, hoses, the manual steering shaft would be different, then I'de need a pump, the motoer has the double pulley's, guess it cam from a PS car.

16:1 boxes have a way of sapping all the joy and fun out of driving the car except at high speed. If you want to be able to drive around town and park the car without sweating and cursing yourself and the car, forget that 16:1 box, especially since what you really want is power steer.

20:1 is where it's at: ideal balance between steering effort and number of steering wheel turns lock-to-lock.

Slant-6 A-bodies got bushings in their steering boxes. B-bodies and V8 A-bodies got roller bearings. The bushing/bearing boxes interchange with each other, but the bearing boxes are nicer. Get with Firm Feel or Steer and Gear for a built 20:1 box with bearings and you'll be all smiles.

16:1 boxes have a way of sapping all the joy and fun out of driving the car except at high speed. If you want to be able to drive around town and park the car without sweating and cursing yourself and the car, forget that 16:1 box, especially since what you really want is power steer.

20:1 is where it's at: ideal balance between steering effort and number of steering wheel turns lock-to-lock.

Slant-6 A-bodies got bushings in their steering boxes. B-bodies and V8 A-bodies got roller bearings. The bushing/bearing boxes interchange with each other, but the bearing boxes are nicer. Get with Firm Feel or Steer and Gear for a built 20:1 box with bearings and you'll be all smiles.

Wow, great info, appreciate it still not sure if i wanna convert to PS or not, lots of parts to dig up.

Do a complete front suspension inspection and steering gear adjustment before ordering a new one. A bad tire and a worn out steering coupler can cause all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
Do a complete front suspension inspection and steering gear adjustment before ordering a new one. A bad tire and a worn out steering coupler can cause all sorts of problems.

A wiseman ( Mr. toolman) once said do an inspection, check things out, well after a few days being dejected about this "pig in a polk" I just bought with all the hodge podge of parts on it, I go this mornin' and open the hood and take another look around, the play in the steering wheel has got to be 6-8 inches, I reach down and grab the coupler and start to turn it on the end of the steering shaft, the steering wheel is flopin' back and forth, the steering box ain't movin', I ain't certain but it looks to me like all that's inside the coupler is the cross pin, holy crap, and I have a video of them drivin' it this way.
Not sure if I should be happy about this find, or scared of what else is lurkin' in the car.

upload_2019-5-14_12-28-29.png

I guess I'll start removing the steering column, and I noticed I have the Rare optional upside down steering wheel, by the way no roll pin to decouple the the coupler to the steering box, it's a nut and bolt with a notch in the shaft to lock it, at least in 65 that is.

I guess I'll start removing the steering column, and I noticed I have the Rare optional upside down steering wheel, by the way no roll pin to decouple the the coupler to the steering box, it's a nut and bolt with a notch in the shaft to lock it, at least in 65 that is.
I've seen that in 64's maybe you got a carry over. Does your coupler have a perfectly rectangular end or does it have a rounded center? The rectangle box couplers took a different seal thats shown in Avispa's nice pic. I could slide the column up 2 inches in my old 65 Barracuda, I didnt even have a seal on mine! Only thing stopping the entire column from pulling out was the groove in the column shaft where the under dash bracket bolted up.
ml-houston-coupler12.jpg

Last edited:
K, got the steering column out, only thing in the coupler was a shoe spring in the bottom of the coupler had a hell of a time trying to dig it out, finally went to the longest appendage on Me ( my little finger) and got it out, ordered a repair kit from Steer and Gear, I looked in the 65 and 67 Mopar parts books and even though the couplers are different ( through bolt VS drift pin, 65 VS 67) the internal parts show the same part number, wanted to use the optional spring retainer, but it seems to anchor in the drift pin holes, witch I don't have, because of the through bolt, will not let me use it.
Film a eleven !
upload_2019-5-17_12-24-2.png

Last edited:
-
Back