65 Dart: Switching to a dual pot master cylinder

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 65 Dart that came with 4 wheel 9 inch drum brakes. I converted the front to the 11" disc brakes commonly found on the 73-76 A body cars. I also swapped in a big bolt 7 1/4" axle with 10" drums. I am not using a booster, this is an all manual setup that I have used before with great results.
I have a few 4 bolt pattern master cylinders in my parts stash. I grabbed one that has a 15/16" bore. It leaks so I need to replace it. The guy at the nearby NAPA store looked up a 75 Dart manual front disc and came up with a 1 1/32" bore MC. The larger the bore, the stiffer the pedal, the shorter the travel. I have a Duster out back with a 15/16" MC and it has excellent feel. I've mixed and matched parts so long, I have some trouble remembering the correct application from where I chose these parts. In the past, I have found the auto parts store guys to have incorrect information....
Hi, I need intake manifold gaskets for a 73 Dart Sport 340.
Uhhh, I don't have a listing, it says 225 slant six or 318.
In the past, I have just logged onto RockAuto to check specs but I wanted to check in here first. I know that Dr Diff sells master cylinders and that is one way to go, I would prefer to get something that looks sort of stock.

I did the right stuff detailing kit, came with a 15/16mc and I like the feel.Not to hard, but not "mushy" either

I just did this to my 66 dart. except I did Scarebird. I did lots of research on finding the 15/16 bore, and this is what I found.
Dorman M80266
Raybestos MC36406
Centric 130.63017
Cardone Select 131571
Right Stuff DBMC15
BrakeBest Select NMC11145
NAPA NMC M2122

Now be careful which ever one you get, get New, not reman. And when you get it check out the lid and make sure it seals. I am having issues with poor casting at the lid area and fluid dribbling down from the top because surfaces are not true and not sealing.

Dog, I did the single to dual pot on my ‘66 which was factory equipped with power discs. I used a 1 1/16” I think it was, definitely bigger than 1”. I regret it, would try something smaller. My two cents...

A dual MC sure won't look stock for a 1965, even a 1968+ MC. No problem for me because I think the single pot MC's look wimpy and ugly. I also don't like rusty cast-iron w/ the leaky lids, but alternate opinions exist. Unless you use silicone fluid like me, brake fluid will quickly remove paint from your firewall, then rust, as you see in most of these cars as-found.

My avatar shows my 1965 Dart. I switched to power brakes since I hope to have front disks some day. I used 95 Breeze booster and MC on Dart brackets. My 64 Dart is manual brakes. I installed the same 95 Breeze ABS booster on a 2-4 bolt adapter plate. The Dart brake rod locked fine in the MC piston (w/ new rubber grommet) and the pedal wound up in the same place. I posted w/ photos several times.

-
Back