1. A/MP

A/MP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:17 AM
    Anyone rewire their Dart with a kit? Saw something with Classic. Bulkhead has seen better days. THX

2. valiantpatrol

valiantpatrol FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:17 AM
    While I have not specifically rewired a Dart, I have rewired at least a dozen cars with generic kits (Painless,Speedway,etc.) of varying circuit numbers. All worked well but the universal kits customers brought me had sub-harnesses like headlight switch or steering column pre-terminated at a fixed length. So while the car I was installing it in might have had 12" between the main harness and headlight switch, the pre-made harness might have had a 2 foot headlight switch sub-harness length leaving either a bundle of excess wire under the dash or I'd have to shorten it and re-terminate the wires for proper length to the switch. Sometimes the opposite is true. The wire bundle that goes out to the headlights is always plenty long to make it to the left one but often to short to make the crossover to the right side and had to be extended. The same was often true for the tail light wire bundle. All the kits I'm referring to also came with a fuse box pre-wired in. Generally the quality was good, many had wires that were marked which helps when determining where which wire had to go, and most were designed for crimped terminals but I always solder all connections.

3. PocketAces

PocketAces Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:17 AM
    I used replacement harnesses from Year One. Expensive and back ordered for long time. But effortless plug and play for sure.

They're made by a company in Santa Fe Springs CA called M&H.
    Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars

They won't sell anything direct if they sell it through YearOne. I think I did get my positive battery cable from them direct.

4. 65ChargerDart

65ChargerDart 65ChargerDart FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:17 AM
    I purchased a Ron Francis Retro Mopar harness for my '65 Dart. It's better than original and I'm not using a firewall bulkhead connector, which seems to be a problem with Mopars. Using plenty of relays for lights, a/c compressor, fan motor and accessories.
    WR-95 RETRO SERIES Mopar Wiring Kit-Ron Francis Wiring

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • A/MP

A/MP Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I've never had to worry about this since all my cars are track only. This street project will require more thought and attention to street details.

• rustyfish

rustyfish Unwell Member

Local Time:
      Did the RF kit come with a firewall provision or did you do something yourself?

• 65ChargerDart

65ChargerDart 65ChargerDart FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      5:17 AM
      I fashioned my own bulkhead plate with grommets so there is no connector. The connector is only there to ease installation at factory assembly. Obviously, the fewer connections, the more reliable the wiring assembly.

• Like Like x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.