65 Dodge Dart Hood Emblem Restoration

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Members. On my 65 Dart GT build, I am not very happy with the appearance of the hood Emblem. Is there a way to remove the Glass/Clear plastic window to access the inside in order to repaint the Dodge Emblem? I have the emblem removed from the chrome bezel trim, and it appears that the window is glued in place on the base housing. The chrome bezel trim, which houses the emblem, is excellent, it is just the window that is scratched along with the paint on the inner logo which needs some attention. Getting a plastic/glass window made would be possible; however, getting the old one out seems to be my dilemma. Any advice out there, or has anyone attempted this before? Thanks. sgrip65

65 Dodge Dart Hood Emblem 005.JPG

Members. On my 65 Dart GT build, I am not very happy with the appearance of the hood Emblem. Is there a way to remove the Glass/Clear plastic window to access the inside in order to repaint the Dodge Emblem? I have the emblem removed from the chrome bezel trim, and it appears that the window is glued in place on the base housing. The chrome bezel trim, which houses the emblem, is excellent, it is just the window that is scratched along with the paint on the inner logo which needs some attention. Getting a plastic/glass window made would be possible; however, getting the old one out seems to be my dilemma. Any advice out there, or has anyone attempted this before? Thanks. sgrip65

View attachment 1715268042
Was hoping someone had a solution by now, not sure how to handle fixing it.

Was hoping someone had a solution by now, not sure how to handle fixing it.

As I am looking at this emblem, it appears the the window is glued into place. If I find the center, and use an appropriate size hole saw, I think I can remove this window/lens. That is if the window/lens is plastic or acrylic. I think it is some form of plastic as the window has a pretty deep scratch. Glass would not have held up on the front of a car very well. I do have a junk spare, so I will give it a try. I see there is one on Ebay for $35.00, but that one needs some help as well. This is what a restoration is all about. Thanks for the input. If I get this worked out, I will post a before and after. Thanks. sgrip65

As I am looking at this emblem, it appears the the window is glued into place. If I find the center, and use an appropriate size hole saw, I think I can remove this window/lens. That is if the window/lens is plastic or acrylic. I think it is some form of plastic as the window has a pretty deep scratch. Glass would not have held up on the front of a car very well. I do have a junk spare, so I will give it a try. I see there is one on Ebay for $35.00, but that one needs some help as well. This is what a restoration is all about. Thanks for the input. If I get this worked out, I will post a before and after. Thanks. sgrip65
Good luck hope fore the best.

Good luck hope fore the best.

Hello Fred. What I thought was an acrylic window turned out to be, absolutely, a solid piece of acrylic that, appears, to be poured into/onto the dodge logo cup. Needless to say, there is no turning back on this one as it is now destroyed. Apparently, the dodge logo is moulded into that cup shape with the acrylic clear resin poured solidly into the "cup." After I destroyed it, I thought that it is a good design since, if it were hollow behind the acrylic window, it would certainly fog or fill with moisture in time. Thanks for the encouragement, but there is no repairing the front "window" on these emblems. Best. sgrip65

Hello Fred. What I thought was an acrylic window turned out to be, absolutely, a solid piece of acrylic that, appears, to be poured into/onto the dodge logo cup. Needless to say, there is no turning back on this one as it is now destroyed. Apparently, the dodge logo is moulded into that cup shape with the acrylic clear resin poured solidly into the "cup." After I destroyed it, I thought that it is a good design since, if it were hollow behind the acrylic window, it would certainly fog or fill with moisture in time. Thanks for the encouragement, but there is no repairing the front "window" on these emblems. Best. sgrip65
Sorry to here that sgrip65 Maybe there's one out there for sale in good shape or try to make one. Not quite sure how to make one but even if the design is different you would still have a hood emblem.

Sorry to here that sgrip65 Maybe there's one out there for sale in good shape or try to make one. Not quite sure how to make one but even if the design is different you would still have a hood emblem.

Hi Fred. There is one on Ebay for around $40.00 + forget. Learned something else about these old beauties. Thanks again. sgrip65

These emblems are pretty tough to find with the center plastic in good shape, I seen some on eBay too and some were decent so I would get one of those, good luck

These emblems are pretty tough to find with the center plastic in good shape, I seen some on eBay too and some were decent so I would get one of those, good luck

Hey Sedan. I did discover one thing that might be helpful. In looking on the back side of the emblem, the Dodge logo is cast into the plastic cup. One would assume that the paint is on the inside under the acrylic lens. The chrome and white paint under the acrylic is not under the acrylic....it is painted from the back side. Depending on the lens condition being relatively decent, the acrylic could be buffed back to clear, and the painting can be done from the back side. I learned that to late. Thanks. sgrip65

Hi guys, I'm new here. Mind if I ask a stupid question?

How do you remove that emblem from the hood? How do you reach the upper nut?

Hi guys, I'm new here. Mind if I ask a stupid question?

How do you remove that emblem from the hood? How do you reach the upper nut?

Hi Gnu. I appreciate the question on the 65 Dart Hood emblem removal. On the back side of the hood, behind the emblem, there are three studs with nuts on them. These stems/studs are fastened to the chrome bezel which surrounds the acrylic Dodge logo as shown in my pic. You can reach these studs with a nut driver or an extension on a 1/4 drive socket. I hope this helps you, but I can send some pics of the bezel and the studs if you would like. As well, I can send some pics of the backside of the hood where these access holes to studs are. By the way, welcome to FABO. You will like the forum as there are a great deal of talented people who are members. You will find the folks here to be extremely helpful with advice and in sharing their knowledge. Best to you on your projects. sgrip65 in Iowa.

These stems/studs are fastened to the chrome bezel which surrounds the acrylic Dodge logo as shown in my pic. You can reach these studs with a nut driver or an extension on a 1/4 drive socket.

Thank you for the friendly welcome! I'm sure i will have many more questions. This is my first Mopar and I'm just getting into the car.

I can see the three studs easily enough, and removing the lower ones is trivial, but how to access the upper stud? There's no access hole to fit a socket extension.

Thank you for the friendly welcome! I'm sure i will have many more questions. This is my first Mopar and I'm just getting into the car.

I can see the three studs easily enough, and removing the lower ones is trivial, but how to access the upper stud? There's no access hole to fit a socket extension.

Let me take a look, and I will get back to you later with some pics. Best. sgrip65

Hello gnu. Yeah. Good question. I took a look at my two 65 hoods, and, yes, the lower two are a no-brainer, but the upper one is a good question. It seems to me that the upper one had some sort of push nut on it. Wow, sorry I can not help you. Thanks for the question just the same. Throw the question out there on our forum on exterior trim as someone will be able to give a qualified answer. Best. sgrip65

Hood Medallion Opening 001.JPG

Getting it out is no problem, the plastic studs tend to break off no matter how careful you are. Putting it back in again...

-
Back