65 Valiant Daily Driver?

-

NONHOG

Recovering hoarder
Reaction score
Have a line on a 65 Valiant, which I like the looks of. If I am able I'd rather drive it (after mods) than my Toyota Avalon. I think in order to get over 20 mpg (25 be better) I think a modern engine might be in order. Ideas? I like the 318 but not sure its the right call.
What about the Dakota V6? I suppose a non Mopar engine would work but prefer to keep it less complicated. (coming from a guy who put a 5.0 Explorer motor in a Volvo)
Not afraid to cut/weld/fab but again simple is better.
I have owned a couple of slant sixes and wasn't impressed. Am open to hearing views on improving the slant six. Hope this isn't a all too frequent subject, should have studied first.
Thanks in advance!

I kindof like the idea of the V6/ AX15-5speed combo

But if I was doing it, I think an aluminum headed, EFI,5.2Magnum/ A500/8.75/ ladder bars, and a custom leather interior.The tires would be big enough and stuck out far enough to make it look like a Dinky Toy.
Mine would be a wagon.
25mpgs is over-rated in anything but a DD,lol.
If you gotta have the mpgs; can I recommend to graft on a 2.4 Direct-injected, all aluminum, 2.4VVT, front wheel drive, from a Chevrolet Orlando. Mine occasionally gets 34mpgUS in a 3600Plus pound Tank. It comes with a 174hp@6700rpm/ 171 pdft@4900.
In the much lighter 1st gen, it will be a wicked combo.
Oh I almost forgot; it has a 6speed auto with very nice splits and amazing shift programming.

Last edited:
Small turbo on a 225 with en A833 4 speed and 3.91 gears.

-
Back