65 Valiant - Is Master Cylinder Push Rod Boot Required?

-

rstepano

Reaction score
All,
I have a 65 Valiant 200 Conv that originally had 4 wheel 9" drums which previous owner had converter to a dual master cylinder. I have since converted to BBP disk brake setup from a 1973 Dart, along with rear axle swap with 10.5" drums, and proportiong valve from that same vehicle.
I am in the process of finishing the disk brake conversion by installing a new 1973 Master Cylinder for a power disk brake setup, but using as a manual setup. From much research I have done on this forum, it appears this was the best choice. 15/16" bore and it has the recess for the push rod clip which I also have. I am reusing the old push rod, but my question/concern is as follows.
The new master cylinder does not have provisions for the piston retainer (uses a snap ring to retain piston) which also is the retainer for the push rod boot. Do I need to use the boot? I have seen where others have drilled and tapped the new master cyl to accept the retainer, but in the post they said it did not serve any purpose other than for original appearance. I'm not worried about appearance in this area. Just need to know if the boot is required or will I be OK without it. The vehicle does not see foul weather so I think it would be Ok without it. What do you all think?

The boot is used to protect the connection between the push rod and the master cylinder piston.

The boot is used to protect the connection between the push rod and the master cylinder piston.
Kesteb,
Thanks for the reply.
I figured that was the purpose on the older style which had the piston retainer to retain the boot.
If it is really needed, does anyone know if there is a different boot and retaining method i could use?
I really do not want to drill holes in a new master cylinder fro the metal retainer.

The attached photos show a master cylinder the same as I have now in which the user drilled two holes and used the old retainer and boot.

73 MC.jpg

73 MC 2.jpg

73 MC 3.jpg

You are also using a power brake master cylinder in a manual brake application. The rubber boot would mount to the back of the canister, not the master cylinder.

-
Back