65 Valiant magnum swap exhuast

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
We're getting to the point at which we need to decide on the exhaust to put in our my sons car. It's a stock 5.9 with a PC air gap topped by a Holley 1830, so nothing crazy at this point. last time I asked about exhaust in this car, I was looking for stock, or close to stock for a 170 /6. Well, that was a losing proposition and so we've changed direction a little sooner than originally anticipated.

I'm looking at these...

No mufflers, source my own.
JEGS 30501: Header-Back Dual 2-1/2 in. Exhaust Kit A-Body | JEGS

Chambered mufflers
JEGS 30501K: Dual Exhaust with Chambered Mufflers Mopar A-Body | JEGS

Turbo mufflers
JEGS 30500: Header-Back Dual 2-1/2 in. Exhaust Kit A-Body | JEGS

Yes, I realize these are meant for later years and not an early A body. If this isn't going to work and there is better option, please let me know.

The plan is to use stock 273 manifolds (no power steering) and fabricate what we need to mate up to the header based systems. inspired by a couple of older posts

66 Barracuda dual exhaust ?
66 Cuda dual exhaust

Which seemed to work very well. We'll be modifying the cross member to account for the pipe on the passenger side and like the original post, put a flange between the included kit head pipes and the fabricated forward pipes. That's the plan anyway, seems like a good idea and again, stolen from that earlier post.

My questions are pretty simple...

1. How much louder are the chambered mufflers going to be versus the turbo style?

2. If anyone has done something similar with "off the shelf" parts for the forward tubes between the exhaust manifolds and the "header flange" location, what did you use? The passenger side seems to be just be a 2 or 3 inch offset in front of a short 90 straight up into the manifold. The drivers side looks like it could just be a another offset but i don't have it in the car yet to see for sure. Pictures of drivers side pipes would be helpful since the factory one was more of a Y pipe.

-=C

My situation I just got some flex pipes off the 273 manifolds to give me a temporary exhaust to get the car on the road and then I will eventually put headers on this thing one way or the other.
Passenger side on trans crossmember obviously is a problem.
Don't know what I'm going to do I might cut a piece of that trans mount or have that two and a half inch pipe bent down to hug around and get around it somehow.

T
My situation I just got some flex pipes off the 273 manifolds to give me a temporary exhaust to get the car on the road and then I will eventually put headers on this thing one way or the other.
Passenger side on trans crossmember obviously is a problem.
Don't know what I'm going to do I might cut a piece of that trans mount or have that two and a half inch pipe bent down to hug around and get around it somehow.

There is a template floating around that shows how to cut the crossmember correctly. It amounts to cutting through the passenger side, front to back with a hole saw and boxing up the resulting mess. Seems to be the way to go.

Resurrecting this as we had to pause for a while but are on the last leg in terms of getting things thing running. We ended up ordering this kit ...

JEGS 30501K: Dual Exhaust with Chambered Mufflers Mopar A-Body | JEGS

Now we need to fab up the head pipes. We're using 273 manifolds from a 65 Dart and I'm hoping someone has detailed pictures of their own comparable setup. Mostly I'm interested in routing passed the transmission.

I think on the drivers side, It's going to come almost straight back (slightly down and inboard), then do a quick "Z" and level off again, on the the pass, it looks like a quick turn back, then a double "Z" and leveling off again.

A big question I have is how close, is too close to thins like transmission lines, oil filter etc?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

-=C

-
Back