65 valiant steering wheel

-

Steves65

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for some advice...the one I have is in pretty bad shape....should I try to find someone to restore it or just try to find another one?

Thanks!
Steve

Well,is it a regular one or the wood grain one they used in the Barracuda ? If it's a regular one with the horn ring they are pretty easy to come by.

Hello,

Looking for some advice...the one I have is in pretty bad shape....should I try to find someone to restore it or just try to find another one?

Thanks!
Steve
Snap some pictures and post them here. Although I have not done one myself, they don't look too tough to renew. 2 part epoxy for the cracks, sand and shape, and paint. It seems more time consuming than difficult.

Snap some pictures and post them here. Although I have not done one myself, they don't look too tough to renew. 2 part epoxy for the cracks, sand and shape, and paint. It seems more time consuming than difficult.
Marine TEX works real good for this kind of repair. I restored a few this way then painted them with a high quality automotive acrylic enamel with the hardner added ( no spray bomb ****)
Marine Tex Epoxy Putty 14 oz. - Ace Hardware

Last edited:
Its a regular one with the horn ring....I tried using epoxy and doing it myself and well....It's just a big mess so I think I reached the limit of my skills on it and am looking for someone esle that is skilled at restoring these

I have the missing center piece that broke off...I was thinking it may be better to just start over with another one that is in better shape

20190303_173003.jpg

Its a regular one with the horn ring....I tried using epoxy and doing it myself and well....It's just a big mess so I think I reached the limit of my skills on it and am looking for someone esle that is skilled at restoring these

I have the missing center piece that broke off...I was thinking it may be better to just start over with another one that is in better shape

View attachment 1715297937

I too would find another steering wheel. A wheel with just a few cracks would be a far easier restoration.

Ya That's pretty far gone. Those aren't too spendy when you find one.

Have you started a want ad? Your old wheel is toast. I'm sure someone has one hanging in their garage they would like to sell.

Ya That's pretty far gone. Those aren't too spendy when you find one.

IF you can find a nice one...my dad restored my original and also Memike’s and they looked brand new when done...I have a real nice black one and a sweet blue one, both nice enough to use as is, one is for the wife’s car though...the one I don’t use might be for sale....I should dig it out and look. I spent less than $100 for each one which I think is reasonable...but are very hard to find in good shape.

oh that's a tough one. I'd start with a better one for sure even if it's cracked. here was mine. BUT I did have all the parts for the center.:lol:PC-7 works wonders and it's been 3 years in high humidity and heat. it's painted using automotive epoxy 2 part paint, painted exactly the same as the car paint using car paint.

DSCF3015 - Copy.JPG
DSCF3014 - Copy.JPG
DSCF3016 - Copy.JPG
DSCF3011 - Copy.JPG
DSCF3012 - Copy.JPG
-0575.JPG

Hello,

Thanks!
Steve
I used POR15 epoxy because it molds like clay then sand, primer. I ended up spraying it with Flexseal because it's also rubber and will be durable. I am looking at Hydro dipping it so my little flaws wont be seen.

My Old Steering Wheel.JPG

IMG_0510.jpg

-
Back