650 Holley DP instead of a Thermoquad, BUMMER

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
With the spacer/adapter on the TQ there wasn't going to be enough hood clearance. I bought the lowest drop base air cleaner I could find and put it all together.....to find that it won't have enough clearance. So...I took and put an old crusty 650 double pumper om there and measured it all up. The holley will work . No big deal some of you say...it is a huge deal as I really want to run the TQ and don't want to cut the hood. not ready to cut up a stock steel hood in excellent shape. The only other cheap fix I can come up with is make a "filter" out of "foam" and use the underside of the hood as the top of the air cleaner. Any of you guys run into this and come up with cheap fixes?????????????

Attachments

• 100_1189.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 328
  • 100_1188.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_1194.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 348
I haven't paid much attention to the aftermarket, but some of the old 'Vettes had some INCREDIBLY low profile air filters. If you could find a "repop" of one of those, you might gain some ground.

late 60's early 70's Chevelle/ Vette etc

attachment.php

How wide a filter element were you using and the filter top, is it a K+N filter top that doubles as an air filter like the top on my filter. On my original flat hood I was using the drop down base, 2" element and that filter top with a Demon carb on a 3/4" spacer and it just cleared. The pictured setup is with a 6 pak hood but ya see where I'm going.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 308
Run a squarbore!
(Good GOD man!)
A properly sized carb will do. The spreadbore has such a minor advantage, I find it hard to even call it an advantage.

I see your running manifolds so i'll assume the engine is mild, Is it a 318 mag or 360 mag? Either or if its mild the 650dp. is all thats needed, I ran 12.5s with mine on a mild 360 stock bottom end magnum in my dart, but i had headers, Unless you get a really reliable TQ with no issues (rare) then run what you have, because once the secondaries start playin funky & inconsistant on the TQ you won't be happy.

I'm running that exact same intake and carb combo on my '72 Magnum motor'd Dart. It's the intake that is way too tall for mine. I bought the Edelbrock drop base air cleaner (14"x3") from Autozone. It's cheesy but it worked and was cheap enough for now.

This is the first Holley I'd ever run and I just always used salvage yard air-cleaner housings. I never knew that most won't clear the fuel bowls on the Holleys, and that was really the root of my problem. The Carters are so compact that anything will work on them, but the Holley's need something to fit "around" the carb, too.

Also, that intake was a PITA, especially if using the Magnum accessory brackets, and I shudder to think about trying to keep the Magnum A/C with that intake. I'll get a Mopar or name-brand intake next time, no question.

You might be able to mill a little off the intake but if you're using an adapter, I think the gains of the TQ will be moot. It's still a square-bore intake...

Old Super Stock trick, Adjust rear of hood up about a inch. Did it to my Dart for air cleaner clearance. Just a thought.

I think the problem with the aftermarket drop bases is the Thermoquad accelerator and throtthe arms hit them. Is there a reason a factory air cleaner base couldnt be modified to fit? Use a smaller lid, and drop the area the filter sits on? (just tossing ideas out... that triangular thing needs to go. You WILL end up with foam running through your engine or catching fire. I hate those things...lol)

I think the problem with the aftermarket drop bases is the Thermoquad accelerator and throtthe arms hit them. Is there a reason a factory air cleaner base couldnt be modified to fit? Use a smaller lid, and drop the area the filter sits on? (just tossing ideas out... that triangular thing needs to go. You WILL end up with foam running through your engine or catching fire. I hate those things...lol)

Moper is right,the first carb backfire and that filter will melt and run into your carb. It's a real ***** to clean out too!

Personally I like the carb hat and cone filter idea,as you can extend your hose all the way to a fresh air source and then put on your filter. Get a twin intake hat and you can have two filters in cold air...

Argh, I'm with Moper on those foam cleaners. I also had a set up well tuned. Swapped the paper cleaner for that "Fly Eye" and the idle went up a few hundred RPM. I was like WTF is That!

Yeah, definitly don't use those foam cleaners, your asking for trouble.

-
Back