66 273 original color

-

DocHolliday1995

Reaction score
I have a 273 from a 66 Barracuda in my 36 Plymouth. We are rebuilding the engine in a few weeks and we are going to paint it. What was the original color of the engine? I know the 36 isn't an A-body but the engine is from an A-body. Here's a picture of it beside my duster in case you're curious. Thanks guys.

74duster_36ply.JPG

Red.
Awesome you are keepng the 36 mopar powered instead of slapping in a sb chevy or ford powerplant like so many do.

I just was at the Car Quest parts store and Dupli Color has engine paint and it's called MOPAR RED ! I bought it and sprayed some. Matched my 68 273 factory valve covers pretty darn close to paint that's 50 years old.

Eastwood sells an excellent Chrysler Red that I used on my 67 commando.

Jake

I just went through probably 20 different brands of "Mopar" red and "International Harvester" red.
The current Mopar brand has the best look, it is amazing how different they all were.
2018-05-22_001.jpg

Alan

It's a interesting color. It is red with just a hint of orange. I chased colors too. IH Red has 2 shades. The older color is more crimson. Here's the IH and the original red.
engine 178.jpg

Not going to any concurs events for originality so prefer rustoleum industrial red myself for durability. #242257.
This is an oil based industrial paint that is close in color and lasts an eternity. Can use trim gun to shoot if you mix in thinner.

A42FF749-946B-44A0-B857-898A1AECFE33.jpeg

BB775420-FC9E-4E3D-A2BA-9DDD7189C4DF.jpeg

It's a interesting color. It is red with just a hint of orange.
My 67 dart 273 was rebuilt in the 80s. shop painted it blue. BUT there are a few bolt heads and the dipstick tube that is still "red" to my eye it is orange but I know it is red. My red parts look like the paint on the dist in ToolManMike's photo

old red turns orange tint. I have a 64 273 block and the Mopar red I shot sure showed up the orange tint of the 64 paint. It wasnt MOPAR sourced so maybe it was the wrong red altogether but if its not next to an original red part, the difference will be nill. I shot the pan with an older can of the same brand and its noticeable more of a tomato red but no one is going to be able to tell. And if he call me out on it, I'm going to ask him why he married his wife.

My 67 dart 273 was rebuilt in the 80s. shop painted it blue. BUT there are a few bolt heads and the dipstick tube that is still "red" to my eye it is orange but I know it is red. My red parts look like the paint on the dist in ToolManMike's photo

old red turns orange tint. I have a 64 273 block and the Mopar red I shot sure showed up the orange tint of the 64 paint. It wasnt MOPAR sourced so maybe it was the wrong red altogether but if its not next to an original red part, the difference will be nill. I shot the pan with an older can of the same brand and its noticeable more of a tomato red but no one is going to be able to tell. And if he call me out on it, I'm going to ask him why he married his wife.

As long as it doesn't look like hemi orange we are all ok! ;^)

I took a lot of photos of my build and depending on the light the red is from red to orange. Here's a few comparisons. As in my previous photo, the distributor housing was original paint form 1966. The last photo is the original distributor paint, Mopar paint on the oil pan, and the wrong shade of IH red on the oil filter adapter.
100_5232.JPG
100_5310.JPG
421.JPG
062300952006[00].jpg
engine 166.jpg

whoa, that IH red is dark! I dont remember it looking so blood red. could have been the fluorescent lighting in my garage.

whoa, that IH red is dark! I dont remember it looking so blood red. could have been the fluorescent lighting in my garage.
No doubt. I think that's the old color for like the F20's and the like.

-
Back