66 Barracuda 273 - Power steering install and pulley

-

Chris Biggs

Reaction score
I just bought a Borgeson power steering conversion kit for my 66 Barracuda w/a 273. I was wondering if I need to get a new crankshaft/driveshaft pulley with 2 belt slots or is there a way to route a belt between the power steering pump, water pump, alternator, and the crankshaft/driveshaft pulley?

If needed, I can post photos once I get home.

You will need a two groove pulley from a pre-1970 small block. The factory ps pump will not align with your existing pullies to run a single belt, and even if it could I doubt if you would have enough belt wrap to avoid slippage.

The conversion kit doesn't come with a pulley? Some "conversion".....

The Borgeson “kit” doesn’t work on this. Why chop your column and put a GM pump on it with a bracket and pulley that doesn’t fit??
We have all the correct parts in stock.

Your site sponsor - Bergmanautocraft.com pm, call, text or email for information.

So it didn't come with the pulley for the pump?
I can understand not including a 2 groove crank pulley.
As Bergman said deal with them, a site sponsor.
The conversion kit doesn't come with a pulley? Some "conversion".....

Right? It came with the hydraulic pump w/hoses and the new steering box. Nothing much past that. Just have to use my imagination! LOL.

The 67-69 Cast iron water pump engines have unique pulley offsets. When converting to a Saginaw pump, Mopar used a keyway style pulley. This is NOT reproduced by anyone. CVF and March have the wrong listings. The pressed on pulley type of Saginaw pump and funky bracket only fit certain 70 and up LA style aluminum water pump engines.

My kits use keyway pulley style pumps and factory brackets. I happen to have one used, powdercoated ps pulley in stock for the early engines. My box kits use factory hoses and your stock column without modifications.

The Borgeson “kit” doesn’t work on this. Why chop your column and put a GM pump on it with a bracket and pulley that doesn’t fit??
We have all the correct parts in stock.

Your site sponsor - Bergmanautocraft.com pm, call, text or email for information.
I have to replace the column as it is. The splines for the steering wheel are all chewed up. I'll take a look at what you've got. Thanks.

-
Back