66 Barracuda Blower Motor Resistor

-

dgtlsmgglr

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can fine one? Mine just literally went up in smoke. I just finished rebuilding my heater box and got it reinstalled. Been working great until today, had the blower switch on low and next thing I know smoke starts rolling out from under the dash. Resistor is completely burned up. I'm 99% sure I reconnected it correctly so I'm hoping this is just a result of the resistor failing.

BlowerMotorResistor.jpg

I have a couple. Let me know if you don't find it closer otherwise I can ship this week.

Never seen one fry a connector like that. You might have another problem. Does the blower still work on high speed?

Never seen one fry a connector like that. You might have another problem. Does the blower still work on high speed?
Good question, I didn't check since once it started smoking I just killed the power and removed it. Wondering if the motor seized up and I didn't notice, I'll test it tonight after work.

Good question, I didn't check since once it started smoking I just killed the power and removed it. Wondering if the motor seized up and I didn't notice, I'll test it tonight after work.
Good plan.

Just tested it and motor works fine. I checked both wires coming from the switch, no voltage when off, 12v to brown on low, and then 12v to green on high. So everything seems correct.

Got the new resistor but still having the same problem of it overheating and starting to smoke with the fan on low. Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Is the fan running while the resistor is smoking? Is the resistor in the fan airflow? You could have some debris in the housing blocking air flow to the resistor. They will over heat if they don’t have good airflow through them.

Check the current on the motor. Sounds like it is pulling too much. Some dc motors will run with partially shorted coils, they will just pull a lot of current.

If you unplug the fan, does the resistor still smoke? That could mean a short somewhere else in the circuit.

Just some things to try....

Curious if this problem has been resolved or fixed. Anyone know if it's possible to build your own resistor? My 68 barracudas resistor is looking pretty rough and rusty. I'd like to replace or maybe build my own? I'm thinking, maybe find out the resistance needed and just build yer own? Any ideas? Anyone ever done that?

Edit: mine is a 2 speed switch.

-
Back