66 Barracuda dual exhaust ?

-

Moparsky

Reaction score
A friend has a 1966 Barracuda with a 273 V8 & auto trans. Is there a dual exhaust kit for this car ?
Anyone done this for their 66 Barracuda, any photos ? What problems & solutions did you encouter ?

John :-D

I have duals on my 66 Cuda, and here's what I did to make it happen. First, the trans crossmember on the early A bodies is only cut out on the drivers side for the exhaust to pass through, so you have 2 choices here. First, Laysons sells a crossmember that has been modified on the passenger side to allow for the second pipe to pass through. You have to send them your crossmember as a core, and the modified one is about $135.00. Or you can remove yours and have a metal fabricator do the job for you. Basically you cut along the bottom flange and bend that back, take a hole saw and cut a half round hole just like the drivers side, then bend the bottom flange back in and around your half moon and weld it back in place. Then reinstall it and run your pipes. For my pipes, I have the Spitfire headers, but stock manifolds are the same. My muffler guy made a set of intermediate pipes that go from the manifold flanges and meet just past the pan of the transmission. Here he put a couple of bell flanges on them continued the tailpipes back through the cutouts in the crossmember to the mufflers and then over the rear as usual. He used an intermediate pipe in case I had to do any work under the car that needed the exhaust removed, I could just drop the intermediate pipe and do the work unobstructed. At the back I used chrome tips from a 70-72 Dart and hangars that are correct for 67 GTX. I will post some pictures of the set-up tomorrow, as my car is at my shop. This set-up on my car really perked up the motor, as the original drivers manifold is so restrictive that it barely flows and really restricts the motor. I'll post pics tomorrow. Geof

Thanks so much Geof for the great description. I will pass this onto my friend. He had been to a muffler shop & saw what you described about the crossmember, so he'll know what you are talking about. Looking forward to your photos. Thanks so much for your help.

John:-D

OK moparsky, here's a couple pictures of the exhaust on the 66. I tried to get the modification in the crossmember, the bell flanges and the rear tips and hangers. Don't yell at me for the condition of the exhaust, this was done 4 years ago I think!! Hope these help, and good luck with the project, you'll like the results!!! Geof

100_1369.jpg

100_1371.jpg

100_1373.jpg

100_1376.jpg

100_1377.jpg

Thanks Geof,

I gave my friend the link to this thread, he may have other questions. The crossmember in question is that the torsion bars mount to, correct ?

John

Thanks Geof,

I gave my friend the link to this thread, he may have other questions. The crossmember in question is that the torsion bars mount to, correct ?

John

The crossmember in question is the piece that mounts to the frame and holds the rear transmission mount. It's the black piece in the picture. You can see in the first picture how it has been cut and some of the side removed in a half-circle pattern. The original configuration of the passenger side is that it is flat accross the bottom. Have your friend email me at cosgig@hotmail.com if he wants any additional pics or info. Geof

-
Back