66 barracuda formula s tach HELP

-

Capt46

Reaction score
Hi all,
Question to the wizards was checking out the tach today removed the tuna fish can and when I had removed the can from the body key on the tachometer pinned. I then grounded again and it returned to the start position '0' again removed the ground and it pegged out. I grounded again it returned the the start position. I then started the car and nothing. Based on these symptoms does anyone have a clue? Thank you Capt46

No clue here, mine doesn't work at all. That is on the list of things to do after the paint and reassembly. Good luck

Thanks T,
I checked the neg on coil it's good, checked the power in to the can it's good, tach pegged and returned to starting point when grounded and ungrounded, and does nothing when running (thinking inside point distributed) ???

Ok have to order sending unit I have no power going to the yellow wire to tach from the sending unit. Sending unit is bad

I'm not sure who it was, but someone had instructions on how to repair the sending unit and where to purchase the material needed. I'll do a search and get back to you

Do a search for 1965 barracuda tachometer wiring. Hope this helps

There is also tachometer circuit board repair kit

If you are running anything but a points distributor with the tach... forget it.
The formula S I bought was converted to electronic ignition and the tach acts really silly most of the time not at all.
After a lot of research I found the set up will not work with anything but points.... unless someone has a conversion kit for it
I am not aware of.
Joe

I have the conversion kit on mine, and they are being made! I got mine from R/T Engineering, but I think they sold out to Insturment Specialties!!it was $75 when I bought it, and works pretty nice!!

I did put the new kit in the tin can works perfectly' I have the points set up.

Last edited:
What did you have to do to install the new kit? That is on my to do list

Remove the two Phillip head screws to bring down the can, remove the electronic board from the can, cut the wires close to the board as possible, remove the old board. New board marked for the new wires slide each wire into the allotted holes and solder in from both sides of board.and put it back in the can, Re plug in tach wires to dash remount as it's the ground. And your back in tach'

Remove the two Phillip head screws to bring down the can, remove the electronic board from the can, cut the wires close to the board as possible, remove the old board. New board marked for the new wires slide each wire into the allotted holes and solder in from both sides of board. Re plug in tach wires to dash remount as it's the ground. And your back in tach'
1964-1966 Mopar Replacement Tachometer Board M1 | eBay

You mean the new tach from Vans LLC on Ebay is not needed?
Looks a bit diffrent also but I bought one for comparison. Van's has always done good by me and my cars.
Plus it runs all electronic ignitions and points. We will see - if a loss im only out $250.00
I can sell it to a Chevy guy for $300.00 for his "Yenco Nova" lol!

Mopar 66 Barracuda / Cuda 1966 Dash Tach NEW- just went to get the link and they are out at the moment.
tach.jpg

I am using my factory tach, just changed the board in the can. With factory points
Capt46- what are the factory tach with module and wiring worth? I know you have sold quite a few parts in your day... any idea?
I'm going to keep mine for now and use the CS159 indash tach sold to me by Vans on Ebay but if it does work out I possibly will sell the complete assembly down the road.
(please people dont hound me to sell - its at least 1 year away lol!)
Thanks,
Joe

I would guesstimate, if to purchase an after market set up for $300
The original has to be worth at least $450-$500

I would guesstimate, if to purchase an after market set up for $300
The original has to be worth at least $450-$500
I've actually seen these sale for more than that. 700 to 800

Sun "Super tach 2" fits behind the OEM bezel just fine. print out a retro font label and your back in universal tach business. Then go out and get yourself an electronic ignition upgrade. I sold my tach and sender for $500 years ago on ebay! I paid $800 for the car! All this stuff in there is solid state, cant be that hard to desolder and test the usual suspects of capacitors and germanium transistors...

See for $500-$800 I can't sell me set up- my thought is once it is gone- its gone. In all my years, finding a Formula S dash is very rare.
These 1 year only parts are so hard to come by I cant seem to part with it.

"On the next episode of HOARDERS- we visit a guy in Connecticut overloaded with car parts." - LOL!

Sun "Super tach 2" fits behind the OEM bezel just fine. print out a retro font label and your back in universal tach business. Then go out and get yourself an electronic ignition upgrade. I sold my tach and sender for $500 years ago on ebay! I paid $800 for the car! All this stuff in there is solid state, cant be that hard to desolder and test the usual suspects of capacitors and germanium transistors...

I just came across your post on the Sun Super Tach 2”. Was that in a ‘65 or ‘66 Barracuda?

65. The sweep in a Super Tach 2 is different than the SW so youll have to use the ST2 sweep, and maybe just paint out the modern sscrscripipsscrips

65. The sweep in a Super Tach 2 is different than the SW so youll have to use the ST2 sweep, and maybe just paint out the modern sscrscripipsscrips
Thanks for the reply. So this fits behind the chrome dash bezel?

-
Back