66 BARRACUDA GAUGE CLUSTER, PAINT/CHROME

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's spring and my Barracuda is back from storage. Over the winter, I located another gauge cluster, in solid condition, but like my original...the chrome is non-existent. I've never seen one in good original "true" colors.

I believe that the perimeter is chrome, the field is silver and a black pin stripe separates the chrome from silver. The two large gauges are flat black on the inside and chrome on the outside. The "key" opening is chrome, as well as the forward lip of the small gauges. The inside if the small gauges is currently white and it appears to have always been.

I'm assuming that I'm guessing correctly and I'm asking for another opinion.

While it's apart, I'd like to fix my temp gauge. The sensor is new, so I'm assuming that the gauge is the issue. I have others ...but I'm not sure if they're any good either. I know that these run on a lower voltage, I"m thinking that there must be a way to test it....perhaps with 4 "D" batteries.

Any help is appreciated.

plenty of good pics in google images. 2 large gauges have raised rings. Those rings are chrome outside, black inside. Smaller gauges dont have the raised rings so they are chrome inside.
2 post thermal gauges... If you see specs like black pepper falling out of it the insulation on the the winding is toast. Ohms meter post to post should show approx' 20 ohms. No continuity from a post to gauge can. 3 volt battery attached post to post should get needle to half way. Test battery attached reverse polarity not a issue. The bi metal would not bow backward to carry the needle backward.

-
Back