66 Barracuda Hood Buffeting at 70+ mph

-
Ok, when I checked play at the latch this morning, I had around 3/16" of play. But there was no adjustment left in the latch. I pulled the latch and extended the adjustment slots. Now it takes a bit of pressure to get it to latch and has Zero play. The stiffening plate is solid. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

IMG_20200730_121259.jpg

If I can get my wife to go along for a ride and get a video, I will. She's just a little nervous about going fast in an "old" car :steering:

I'm surprised you had to elongate the slots to get more adjustment. I wonder if the latch support or bottom tie bar got bent at one time. The hood latch adjustment on my '66's are no where near the limit of travel. I've had one car up to 110 and another up to 130 without any hood flutter.......not that I'm staring at the hood at that speed! The front end gets pretty light at that speed and makes you a bit uneasy! :steering:

I'm surprised you had to elongate the slots to get more adjustment. I wonder if the latch support or bottom tie bar got bent at one time. The hood latch adjustment on my '66's are no where near the limit of travel. I've had one car up to 110 and another up to 130 without any hood flutter.......not that I'm staring at the hood at that speed! The front end gets pretty light at that speed and makes you a bit uneasy! :steering:
that's what I was wondering, too. maybe the lower radiator support took a hit or someone jacked the car on the lower rad support, and it lifted the upper rad support, too.

Yeah, I'm sure something got tweaked along the way. I've had the car over 8 years and I haven't found anything noticeable, but something is going on.

Took the car out and about 95% of the flutter (good term) is gone. There's a slight bit on the driver's side. I'm going to raise the bumper just a little.

You're right on about how light the front end gets!! Heck, the entire car for that matter, lol. What, around 2900 pounds!!

My car was solid to begin with and in the past 2 years I put on new leaf springs, torsion bars, all new bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and had Steer and Gear rebuild the box with their "modern" feel. Still gets a hairy at speeds!!! But, that's what keeps us young!

I just raised the hood bumper slightly. They are both hard as a rock. You think new ones would be softer? Maybe replacing them would help?

On my 68 Barracuda,I raised the back and dropped the front, so now my car is like a wedge, forcing the air up and over.
I was rolling down the intestate one time, at ~85, when a late model Corvette came blasting by. Hmpff, said I, I bet he has a radar detector.
So I gave him some space, downshifted into overdrive, and tipped in some throttle. A lil bit later I put it back into double overdrive, and then I followed the Corvette on the horizon for a few hours, before he turned off.
I won't tell you how fast I was going, but I think the Corvette was never flying at less than 120ish/2900 on my tach, at that time. Hyup 2900, not a typo.
The faster that car goes, the more stable it gets. Aerodynamic wedge, I think they call that.
We had to roll the windows up and insert the earplugs,lol, but we chopped off a couple of hours of travel-time that trip.

-
Back