66 Barracuda rear disk setup

-

barelycuda

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am more of a reader than poster but I'm a little stumped right now and need some help. I'm converting my 66 barracuda to rear disks with a 8-3/4 rear end. I'd like to stay with the SBP rotors and keep my 14" rims. I would prefer to purchase a kit but can piece it together with some guidance. I've seen in the past a couple of kits online that converted the 8-3/4 to small bolt rotors and calipers that will fit in the 14" rims but I can't find them now. I've looked on Dr Diff's site and all his kits are for BBP setups. All the other kits are 11" rotors and require 15" or larger rims.

I already have the front disk setup for SBP, power brake booster, proportioning valves and can bend all the new brake lines. I'm hoping to swap over all the brake system soon at one time.

Any help is much appreciated.

Very doubtful that you will find a kit with the sbp.Stainless Steel Brake Corp at one time had the rotors with both bolt patterns. Sorry but they are out of business.
I would think that you can use a bbp kit and have the rotors redrilled for sbp.There are many things to consider if doing this such as the center hub is larger than the sbp so precise measurements will have to be taken to the machine shop.Maybe they can make a hub centric bushing or something to make it work.Just a thought.

I will be using 14 inch Magnum 500’s on my 8.75 rear disc conversion as well as on my 73-76 disc setup. Of course it is all LBP.

Looks like ya gotta use 15" rims, is there a 15" SBP rally wheel? wonder what MC you would use?

To the original poster:
What is your primary reason for wanting to have rear disc brakes? I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but it may be difficult to keep the SBP and 14" wheels.

I'm convinced one of the main reasons Chrysler finally went to rear discs is because they are easier to adapt to ABS. Most 8-3/4 rear kits use green bearings eliminating the good Timken tapered rollers and the fine pre-load adjustment feature.

I have rear drums on my A bodies and they are fine, never a problem. Of course they are in excellent shape with good shoes, drums, new hardware and self adjusting.

Unless you are road racing, making consecutive panic stops or commuting down mountains, rear drums are more than adequate with front discs because the fronts do 2/3 (pick a number) of the braking anyway so you should be good. Of course if you are doing it to show off that you have rear discs, then you are on your own and not much will show behind 14" wheels anyway.

I will say that rear discs are probably lighter overall with less rotating mass though.

Thank you for all your thoughts and comments. My main reason for converting to rear disk is mostly just modernization. I am pretty much going completely through the brake system and have the resources to upgrade the rear as well right now. Since this was a front & rear drum car and I'm installing the new booster, proportioning valves and other components I thought now was the time plus I already have the front disk setup for SBP. I like the look of the car with the old cragar SS rims and since they are in excellent shape and good tires I didn't really want to do a tire/wheel swap.

Thank you, DrDiff. I'll reach out to you today.
I have had this set up on my car for a number of years, it works great. I run it with a 15/16 master that Cass also carries. I highly recommend the product and Dr Diff.

I have Wilwood manual disc brakes on all four corners of my Demon. It's a bracket car & has 15" wheels on it. I'm really happy how quickly you can come down from WOT to a manageable speed quickly & safely.

-
Back