66 cuda rear window

-

A/B Mopar

Reaction score
rear window.jpg

Question... the rear window gasket is in somewhat decent shape, however it does not seem to be tight enough to the roof line. I don't see any leaks on the inside, but I am concerned about the seal disintegration as time goes on. Should I replace this window seal, or just fill the gap with silicon??? These windows are hard to locate if it gets broken during the process. Let me know your opinions and advice. Thank you.

That window gasket looks like it is in the correct place and if it isn't cracked I'd call it good. That is how mine is sitting, and if it doesn't leak I would stay away from silicon. I've never put in a rear window in an early Barracuda but you can bet it would be a *****.

The aftermarket gaskets do not fit as well and don’t look as good as factory. If your does not leak and mostly is inside the garage - I’d say don’t mess with it.

The one I removed from my '66 a couple months ago was original as far as I could tell and it had gaps but didn't leak. I say leave it be.

Thanks for the replies. I will leave it there and just watch for any leaks that might occur.

There seams to be a stigma about installing glass. I have broken my share of split windshields but one piece windshields are a lot easier to work with. The early Baracuda rear glass is tough as nails because of the shape and thickness. They aren't that hard to find for this reason. They just don't usually break. I've seen them on eBay for under $200. As for removing and installing the rear window, I paid $135 to have a glass shop remove my windshield. When I saw how easy it is, I installed it by myself and saved the $135 to install it. When I had the headliner installed, I removed and installed both the windshield and backlight by myself with no help and I'm no superman. However, a helper is a good idea. Here's how its done:

Lay a blanket or someting soft on the cowl and hood. Remove the interior trim and lock strip, at the upper corners of the glass, firmly push outward. The glass should come out at the corners and gently lay the glass on the hood. The rear glass should come out the same way and can be laid on the roof. Make sure the edges of the opening are clean before installing. My glass shop doesn't use silicone or sealer, so I don't either. Upon re-installing, using small strips of tape to hold the gasket in place around the opening. Starting at the bottom, lay the glass in place in the gasket and work it around into the grove. A little soapy water may help the glass slide into the gasket. Installing the lock strip should take care of any gap in the seal. Good luck.

I agree. The front window just pops out from the corner. Pull the lock strip and the window will push out and peel away. It can be done without issue. Rear is not that much harder. Pull lock strip and get on your back and use your knees to push window out at the top edge. Have a helper manage from the outside. Putting it back in is easier, just lay it on the gasket in the track and then start with a spudger (stiff panel nylon wedge tool) and start prying the gasket lip over the glass. It will suck the window in and then you just push the lock strip back in. You won't break the rear glass. Go slow on front and you won't break that one either. It's totally doable.

Once you get over the anxiety and realize how easy it is, keep cool while you work and you will fell like an expert when it's done.

-
Back