66 Cuda VIN location

-

LeAnne

over-whelmed/under-funded
Reaction score
I bought a 66 Cuda that needs a lot of work. The car has finally been delivered, so I need to do the DMV thing. The car was last registered in New York in 2001. However, because ownership has not changed since the “Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act of 1972”, the state was not required to issue a title, only a "transferrable registration". I talked with the DMV in North Dakota, and they are fine with that.

I'd like to verify that the VIN on the registration card matches the actual VIN on the car before I get a title using the VIN on the registration card. However, I have been told that Mopar didn’t always put a VIN on the car back in 1966 and that it might be in one of many places if they did. There is no VIN plate on the dash. I am currently unable to open the driver side door. The engine has been replaced with a much newer engine. I’m hoping someone can tell me where to start looking for the VIN.

well, you need to start by opening that driver's door. the vin is by the door hinges attached with rivets.

Not only is the VIN tag located behind the driver door, that is the only place it occurs on a 67-older Mopar (68 only has one VIN location but it is on the dash). You must get the door open to verify.

Thanks, guys!

The door is off, there's a spot that lookslike it had a plate riveted in, but nothing now.

:sad2:

I guess I'll title it based on the registration card and hope no one ever checks...

You need to ask the person you got the car from where the tag is. It is not legal to remove it and not put it back on.

I am waiting for a call back from the seller. He's a dealer who was selling it for a private party. Since the door never opened, the dealer had no way of knowing the VIN plate is missing. I am going to try to find out from the actual owner what happened.

The dealer might have a real problem keeping his dealer license if he sold something without a VIN. Put some pressure on him.

my 66 had another vin stamped into the sheetmetal behind the trim panel above the lr wheel well inside the car. found it while sandblasting

Cuda66 said:
Sounds fishy to me, pretty convenient the the drivers door wouldn't open.
The car was obviously in an accident at some point. The post where the VIN plate should be is pretty banged up, looks like someone tried to straighten it somewhat. We WD-40'd the rusty door latch enough to get it to move enough to open, but the fender was pushed back enough that the door was binding on it. No one has had that door open for quite a while.

However, that's not to say that the owner didn't know it was missing from the last time the door did open. He may have even told the dealer that.

I'm still waiting to talk to the dealer (he was out sick yesterday). I may try to call the original owner and see what I can find out from him. (That's assuming I can find a phone number for him based on the address on a years-old registration card.

I vaguely remember seeing the VIN # stamped someplace else in my '65 when I was cleaning it up for the show. Try looking closely inside the engine compartment - I bet it's stamped in there someplace. Look at the bar that's in front of the radiator. I'll take a look in mine to see if I can find it.

I took a look at the photo in your "garage". That 's a nice car!

Justcruisin', that's not the VIN on a 68-earlier. It's the Shipping Order number. It won't match.........

I've been stripping the car and I gotta say Jim is right - doesn't seem to be anything that looks like a VIN anywhere else. Still trying to reach the dealer...

LeAnne said:
I've been stripping the car and I gotta say Jim is right - doesn't seem to be anything that looks like a VIN anywhere else. Still trying to reach the dealer...

Look on the radiator support. I'm pretty sure my 66 has the VIN stamped there. It's very faint, though.

Lee

Lee, welcome over here, too. I never looked at any of the other numbers when I owned the 66, but it won't be the VIN stamped in those locations. It's the shipping order number and since there was no build sheet to be found in your car (actually there was, but the VIN didn't match) when I dismantled the interior in 1984 there's no way to match the numbers.

There has to be a place for some sort of hidden VIN number, a riveted tag would not be enough to satisfy the feds.

340mopar said:
There has to be a place for some sort of hidden VIN number, a riveted tag would not be enough to satisfy the feds.

NOPE, not until 1969. As I said before (and I have a car with enough documentation to back this up - my 68 GTS convertible) the "hidden" numbers on a 68-older Mopar are the SHIPPING ORDER NUMBER, not the VIN. You need a broadcast sheet to match the VIN and SO.

-
Back