66 Dart Convertible window regulators

-

Ryan Hoelzer

Reaction score
I haven't pulled the door apart yet, but figured I'd see what anyone has to say ahead of time.

My driver's window needs help rolling up and then when it's up "leans" back. Almost impossible to close the door with the window up.

Any tips on how the regulator works in a convertible? Is it shot and I should just get another one?

Thanks,

Nothing special or unique about the convertible front window regulator. It's the same one used in the Barracuda and 2drHT Darts and Valiants. It sounds to me like you may have a guide problem if the window tilts back out of the vent window frame. There could be a problem with the glass bracket too. You won't really know for sure until you pull the panel and look.

According to aftermarket application charts, Channel run for 67 and later are different from pre 67. I know the later has the glass resting in one small saddle at lower center. Only the plastic pieces attached to the glass and sliding in the forward channel prevent this glass from tilting out of the channel. I don't know what pre 67 has.
When I had binding in my drivers door regulator I also had a lot of wiggle and lost motion at the winder handle. The problem was wear in what looks like a bearing behind that handle. Its more complex inside than it appears outside. Anyway... removed the counter spring, drilled out rivets, used a few parts from a 75 Valiants rear window regulator to renew the 67 door regulator. So even if you buy a used drivers regulator from ebay, it may need some work.
By the way... beware that counter spring. Run the regulator up before removing the weight of the glass. Some have had the regulator arm fly up and shatter their glass. Good luck

-
Back