66 Dart engine swap

-

6671dartster

Reaction score
I have a 66 Dart with a 273 Hypo motor with a 904 trans. I want to build a 360 to replace the 273. What block do I need that will bolt right in? What year/years motor will swap out? Will I have trouble with the headers or manifolds on the driver's side? It has the high manifold. What should I look for? Thanks for your time

All Small block engines have the same dimensions, if a 273 fits, a 360 will as well. 340 too. Manifolds interchange as well...use the 273 Drivers manifold, or headers for early "A"

Motor mounts? Power steering? Dougs headers work well. You will also need a special flex plate and probably torque converter (with the proper sized snout). 273's were internally balanced and 360's were externally balanced. You swapping just the engine or also using the transmission that came with the engine?

The factory 273 port exhaust manifolds will choke that 360 down hard. I used a 73-76 A-body 360 manifold set in mine with a u-joint steering column coupler to clear. win-win - clearance and no more hot garbage pot-coupler. Motor mounts - I went with schumacher conversion mounts and poly-loc isolators - truck isolators (72-93) work fine too. You will need to dimple the oil pan on the 360 to clear the drag link at full left lock. If you plan on keeping the trans, B&M offers a flexplate that will balance the 360 correctly (LA or magnum) without having to modify what you have. depending on your oil pan of choice it may not be a bad thing to notch the k-member to gain clearance. theres some awesome write ups on that floating around here.

-
Back