66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-

360DartGT66

Not a 360 anymore
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello!

First off: I'm a newbie. Never renovated a car before. Sure, I used to fix up old mopeds in my teens. Did plenty of them. From the ground up, bare metal to fresh paint and stickers, overhaul on motor and re-upholstered seat. Since then, not so much.

Went to university. Bought an old Bimmer that ran mostly on three cylinders. Rode bikes, even got a road racing license and then I had kids. And a house. And a summer house. Three kids. I'm 44.

I've always wanted a black '71 'vette 454 T-top Stingray but they're just too freaking expensive. Even if they're a rusted away piece of crap.

So I stumble across this '66 Dart GT that a dude did all the work on. He bought it in 2007, fourteen (roughly) previos owners (originally sold in Sweden), ran it as it was for a year and then started renovating it. He cut all the rust out, replaced the floor, the quarters and the part under the doors (whatever it might be called). Then he found this old guy here in Sweden called "the Baron" who builds engines. From him he bought a 1971 360 cui V8 (from an old Dodge van) with Keith Black pistons and rods, an Edelbrock LD4B intake and a Carter 9755S carburetor. He also got a high stall speed 727 and a 8 3/4" rear end with Aubrun limited slip. Don't know the gear ratio. Oh, and'he invested in an electronic ignition system and a brand new alternator.

The engine hasn't been run since it was built and neither has the trans or the rear end. As a matter of fact, neither of them have oil in them. This is a bit of concern for me. How do I know they haven't started rusting inside? As you've probably deduced by now, I'm an impulsive kind of guy. Anyoune with a dominant rational trait would've known all these things. I don't. I also don't know how what "high stall speed" actually means and I dont know much about the internal workings of a good ol' mopar V8.

I do know that I can turn a wrench and get things working. And I love Roadkill and tire smoke. Detailed, this-is-how-it-looked-when-it-was-first-produced, showroom restorations, not so much. Don't have the patience for it. I want to be able to use the car, enjoy the engine rumble, burn some rubber, maybe even go to the strip (even though that is perhaps not a very big sport here in Sweden) and not have to worry about getting a scratch on the chrome. I'm not sure, though, how much effort I'm going to put into it. I don't want the previous owner's effort to go to waste by not making it a decent looking automobile. I also don't want to spend the next five years finding the right type of fabric for the headliner.

All in all, I am a dedicated guy who wants to get this car running and smoking tires and I'm going to need a lot of help and creative input.

I've got the slot mags, I've got a pretty decent engine, I'm falling in love with the look of the car - even though it's not a 71 'vette Stingray - and most of the labour is already done. What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone interested in chipping in?

So glad I found this forum.

/Anders

View attachment Foto 2015-05-31 19 19 11.jpg

View attachment Foto 2015-05-31 12 41 46.jpg

Alright. I finally got the last bit of info on the 360 cui engine and trans from the previous owner:
- Keith Black lite 0.030 pistons
- Purple shaft 4286630 cam
- Dual valve springs
- Main and rod bearings ground 0.010"
- 727 with high stall speed torque converter

I wonder what that will do in terms of power and torque with the Carter 9755S and the Edelbrock LD4B?

I've also found a shop that can shorten the drive shaft for me.

Welcome Anders. There's lots of 66 Darts here and it looks like you have found a nice one.
Keep us posted on your progress with lots of photos. Feel free to post your car on the 66 Dart thread I started a few years ago. There's a link just below this text. Toolmanmike

Welcome to FABO.I,m a fan of the 66 Darts also:D.My best advise for you is to learn your way around the forums on this site and read,read,read,then read some more.This will help you learn all about your car and how it works.You will also learn how to build it the way you want it to ride,perform.Some good reading in the Early A-bodies forum,which your 66 is a Early A body(63-66).Good luck with your car....oh and hurry up and get some oil/lube/gear oil in there.:D

Roger on the lube, pettybludart ...

I'm studying this forum as much as I can. That and watching Roadkill. :D

Hey, I lived in Ottawa for a year when I was 14. Hooked on Canada ever since.

Tried to post the camshaft data earlier but failed. Here it is:

Purple Shaft P4286630: 280 duration, 60 overlap, .474" lift, 106 Rec. Install Center line and Zero Valve Lash Intake Exhaust.

I've tried to find data on the stock cam (1972 360) and this is what I've come up with:
"The 360 cam specs are .410 lift and 252 degrees duration on both intake and exhaust."

From another Dodge forum.

Hi!

I've seen your thread. You're obviously being A LOT more thorough than I intend to be. Your car will be amazing. Mine will probably look ok from a distance but I will deviate from the original.

Which part of Sweden are You in?

(speaking english for good manners)

edit: I'm in Lerum myself.

That you are! Looked at your profile and saw your postal code! =D

Well, I hope we'll meet at some event some day. I made a bet with my pal that I'd be finished by midsummer next year so I'd better get going. The bet is for a bottle of 12 yo Talisker ...

Thanks, 65 dartman!

Well, today I tore out the old sauna in the basement. I need the space to store the larger parts of the Dart that are currently stored in or on the car. Bumpers (three), windows, seats, driveshaft, long trim items and dash.

Good thing I dod since the entire wall was rotted and moldy along the floor. Perhaps removing this will help my congested sinuses?

Attachments

• Foto 2015-06-12 13 11 47.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,580
  • Foto 2015-06-12 14 43 08.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,551
Big day today. Poured oil into the engine and hooked up a battery and cranked the old 360 around a bit. Starter noise like someone threw a fistful of gravel in the gears. Is that normal?

Also learned not to fill the 727 when not running ... Pity on all that expensive ATF.

Does anyone know if the filler tube and dip stick from a 904 will fit and give a correct level reading in a 727?

Okay, thanks.

Catch of the day. Some battery cable and ring terminals and a used but decent battery. Paid $72 for the battery. Sweet. Home made crimps, too. Used the hook of a spring kompressor and a drill bit to get something simliar to a proper crimp.

The starter motor gear clearance is probably off. Could be because it's hanging by one bolt.

Can anyone tell me what the thread on that big starter mouting bolt is?

Attachments

• Foto 2015-06-16 21 14 46.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,459
  • Foto 2015-06-16 21 13 56.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,487
  • Foto 2015-06-16 21 13 24.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,506
Alright. Made some real progress the last few days.

The starter was shot. Took it apart and pretty much everything was worn out completely; The brushes, the front bushing on the motor axle and the copper stud the solenoid mates with.

Found a "new" one in a Facebook Mopar group here in Sweden, roughly $80 with shipping. Probably a robbery to you guys but this is the land of Volvo... It is quite a bit newer, though, and sounds a LOT better. Found a nut that fits that starter bolt in one of the boxes full of nuts and bolts that came with the car, too. Win!

My oil pump priming adventure almost ended in disaster. The pump drive shaft wouldn't come out. I used the old distibutor shaft to try and rotate the gear out but ended up breaking the tap off in the slot! :eek:ops:

Being a little creative with my old slide hammer (made it myself in high school), an oak club my father-in-law made and a piece of high-grade stainless wire, I finally managed to pull it out. I drilled and tapped an M4 (remember, this is Sweden) into the broken off bit stuck in the slot and used my vice to pull it out. *phew* Was NOT looking forward to finding a new shaft ...

Made an oil pump priming tool from a piece of M6 threaded rod and a pair of M5 nuts. Worked like a charm. Had to plug up what I presume is the oil pressure switch hole, though. A little cranking and pretty soon, nice and clean-looking oil was flowing from all rockers.

Aligned the oil pump drive shaft according to the manual to avoid problems with the vacuum advance thing on the distributor and stabbed the distributor in.

I squirted a little oil in each cylinder but forgot to give them all a puff of compressed air to distribute it a bit before I installed the plugs. I learned a long time ago not to remove spark plugs unless it is necessary to avoid leaks. I figure a little cylinder lube is better than none.

Wired up the spark plugs and fitted the Carter 750 cfm.

Looking at the carb, I realize there is no gas return outlet so I decided to call it a day and check online for guidance.

Attachments

• Foto 2015-08-12 16 17 51.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,409
  • Foto 2015-08-12 15 26 22.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,392
  • Foto 2015-08-12 15 36 41.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Foto 2015-08-12 15 44 29.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Foto 2015-08-12 15 21 41.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,407
  • Foto 2015-08-12 14 34 21.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,419
  • Foto 2015-08-12 14 20 49.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,414
Someone else posted a question about engine colors on here a few days ago. I looked at the list and found that all 360 engines were Mopar Blue when they came. No 360 has ever been orange. That was for big blocks and hemis.

The 66 Darts with V8:s all had red engines. But they were all 273 or 318.

I figured I would paint my engine blue. It's going to be inconsistent whatever I choose, but blue is right for the 360. So I bought a can of Mopar Blue paint at US Car Parts, a store in Uddevalla, Sweden.

Ordered a pair of radiator hoses, too. Hope they'll fit.

Okay, I've researched the carb installation a bit. I've got a Carter AFB 9755S, identical to this Edelborck (but with manual choke) (see pic below).

So the fuel goes in via the fuel inlet (of course). What about the return line? I'll be using the stock pump on the 360 for starters.

And the vacuum ports, is it a good idea to use the ports on the carb? The one marked MANIFOLD VACUUM for the distributor and the rear port (POWER BRAKE PORT) for the brake assist drum?

Or should I use the ports directly on the intake manifold (Edelbrock LD4B)?

Anyone?

Attachments

• 1406_edelbrock.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,338
Got my radiator hoses and oil pressure sender today. Yay! Delivery by brother-in-law. Also took a trip to Roger's Custom in Gothenburg (Hisingen) and got a thermostat and a new engine dipstick with tube.

Oh, and I invested in a new thermostat housing ...

Attachments

• Foto 2015-08-14 13 27 18.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,341
Question: Should the dipstick tube be inserted all the way to the flange (see pic)? Quite a bit of interference on my aftermarket tube.

Attachments

• Foto 2015-08-14 17 37 44.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,328
Screwed up the oil filler tube trying to bend it to clear the fuel pump and generator ... Probably should invest in a better quality tube bender. :banghead: Guess I'll try to find an OEM tube. Managed to check the oil level, though.

Got the radiator out of the trunk, thought I'd check it for leaks. It rattled. Turns out there were little lumps of solder in it. Don't know if they are from a repair job or from production. Think I got them all out, though.

Cleaned the radiator externally, filled it up with water and straightened most of the bent vanes. No leaks, at least not without pressure.

Mounted it to see if my brand new moulded radiator hoses would fit ok.

They didn't. Didn't think they would, really, since the 360 isn't supposed to be there. I think I'll be able to sort it out, though.

Attachments

• Foto 2015-08-16 15 49 41.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,318
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, it really is nice. Sure noticed them bright blue Volvos when they started to appear on the roads here in Sweden.

Question is how that will work with a mopar blue engine.

I've been thinking about painting the engine compartment yellow just to get some contrast between engine and engine compartment. That would make the car look like the Swedish flag when the hood is open.

-
Back