66 Dart Headliner Help

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Started to prepare to install the headliner. Its a 2 dr hardtop. I installed insulation on the inside and I put the bows thru the pockets on the headliner. SO heres the question I have.
The pockets or sleeves that the bows slide into, first there are 6 and I only removing 5 bows. 2nd, since the headliner gets wider at the back the sleeves are longer. Now the first 3 sleeves starting at the front I cut a 1" long slot from each end on both sides. Im not sure how far i should cut but I watched a video that said 1". Now the back sleeves the bows arent even long enough to stick out on either end. Im guessing that there is at least 6" on both sides that over hang the bows. So how far do i cut or how do i know? I want to get this liner in during this weekend so your help in directing me to either a thread that would explain that or a video to watch would be great. Here are some pics to help explain what I probably poorly described! Ive drawn a white line to help show how much longer the back sleeves are.
20180914_204936.jpg
20180914_204936_LI.jpg
20180914_204948.jpg
20180914_204948_LI.jpg

Thanks Rod

Sounds like you may have a 4-door liner Rod, if your old liner had 5 bows and this one has 6, there’s a problem & the bows may not line up with the car, do you have your old liner to compare with this one? I wouldn’t proceed until you can either measure the spacings on your old one or from another car…you could measure the mounting points as well….

No I dont have the old liner. I'm going to try to at least hang it in there tonight and that will tell me where I'm at. Then I'll either be able to move forward or figure out a plan. Hope to know more later.
Thanks

OK, took a few minutes to see what I was going to run into. And yes I found I was missing that one bow. Luckily I had that other set of 4 bows that were still in the 66 GT i bought for parts. Non of them were right but at least i was able to cut one down slightly and it looks as tho its going to work out. So heres some pics of where i'm at after about 30 minutes of cutting the bow and getting the liner in the car and at least hung.
Feel free to throw out suggestions if you have them . Ive never done this before but luckily one of the members here contacted me bright and early yesterday morning and I was able to get on the phone with him and he gave me some advice.
I will be calling you back for more assistance!!

DSCN0634.JPG
DSCN0635.JPG
DSCN0636.JPG
DSCN0637.JPG
DSCN0638.JPG
DSCN0639.JPG

Well for now thats as far as I have gotten. Hoping to maybe get some time tonight to start stretching and pulling.
Rod

Went to Ace yesterday and bought the contact cement. I also bought a few plastic putty knives to help push the liner tighter. Didnt know if that would help but they were cheap! Heres some close up pics of the area just under the seams.
DSCN0640.JPG
DSCN0641.JPG
DSCN0642.JPG
DSCN0643.JPG
DSCN0644.JPG

Rod

Started the install of the headliner tonight. Not sure i did this in the right order but if you have been following you saw I installed the bows and hung the liner on Sunday. Then I went out and bought some plastic putty knives and 2 bottles of weldwood DAP contact cement. By the way, those 2 bottles are not enough so tomorrow I will be picking up a quart of it! Now with the liner hanging it made it much harder to put the contact cement on the interior roof and also on the headliner as well. But after applying to both surfaces I started stretching the liner. First pulling forward and then going to the back and pulling it back and hooking the 2 spring hooks on the rear bow. Then I pulled on the front again then pulled again to the rear. Then I went to the drivers side and from inside the car I started in the middle and worked front. Then went to the passenger side and from the middle worked forward. Then the fun starts with the rear half and the sail panels. This appears to be the frustrating area. I got it close but i plan on gluing again tomorrow and trying to get it to lay a little better then it is right now. I wont use a heat gun until I have the trim pieces on, unless of course someone says its to late and needs to be done before the trim is on.
Here are some pics on what I have completed.
DSCN0647.JPG
DSCN0648.JPG
DSCN0658.JPG
DSCN0659.JPG

I would guess at this point I have about 3 hours in the whole operation so far. I dont think thats to bad.
If you have suggestions that would help make this better please throw them out.
Thanks Rod

Installed the rear view mirror, both sun visors, interior light and both rear clothes hangers. Took a while to clean the visors before they were even fit to go in, they had 40 year old crud hanging on them! Also re-glued the front of the headliner and will do the outside of the front headliner on Monday when I get home. Will also stretch the rear and re-glue that on Monday as well. Very happy with what I see so far. Its not going to be perfect but it will be ok for me! Heres some pics:
Rod
DSCN0661.JPG
DSCN0662.JPG
DSCN0663.JPG
DSCN0664.JPG
DSCN0665.JPG

-
Back