66 Dart Heater Control Cable Connections to Heater Box

-

sgrip65

66 Dart GT 273, 65 Dart GT 273 HiPo
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Members. A friend of mine is restoring a 66 Dart, and he stopped by with a question on where the cables go from the Dash controls (above the radio) to the heater box. Both my 65 and my 66 Have A.C., and his 66 is just heater. Can anyone help me with a diagram or a resource that would show the cable routing? The manual shows the cables on the box, but not where they would hook up to the controls. In the diagram, within the 1966 manual, (Under accessories, 1-3, Figure 2), it shows the levers, on the box, for the defroster cable, a shutoff door cable which is right between the heater coil pipes, and the temperature door cable which is just to the left of the passenger side fresh air box. Enclosed are a few pics of his dash control, so, the question is.....which cables go where? Thanks for the help. sgrip65

Heater Controls 002.JPG

Heater Controls 003.JPG

I think your '66 is similar in operation to my '68. Look at the dash trim, the lower lever is "temp". It will have one cable to do the work and is attached to the door marked as "temperature door" at the far right of the box. The upper lever operates two cables and are marked "defrost" and "heater". The upper lever first engages the defrost cable which is attached to the door marked as "defroster cable", to the far left in the box. As the top lever continues its travel it engages a second cable that operates the third door marked as "shut off door" which is in the middle of the box by the two heater core inlet tubes. Kind of "wordy", but I hope this helps.

I think your '66 is similar in operation to my '68. Look at the dash trim, the lower lever is "temp". It will have one cable to do the work and is attached to the door marked as "temperature door" at the far right of the box. The upper lever operates two cables and are marked "defrost" and "heater". The upper lever first engages the defrost cable which is attached to the door marked as "defroster cable", to the far left in the box. As the top lever continues its travel it engages a second cable that operates the third door marked as "shut off door" which is in the middle of the box by the two heater core inlet tubes. Kind of "wordy", but I hope this helps.

Hi Murray, Absolutely, this helps. Much appreciated. Wordy? No, just a clear explanation. Thank you. sgrip65

-
Back