66 Dart speedometer lens paint

-

1966DDart

Reaction score
The plastic lens/speedo cover that I'm putting back in my '66 Dart needs the numbers touched up in a few places. Anyone happen to know what paint type the factory used, acrylic or enamel? And also, is there an off the self paint that is a decent color match...such as Testers, HiPoParts florescent white needle paint, etc.? Thanks in advance!

-Phil

The plastic lens/speedo cover that I'm putting back in my '66 Dart needs the numbers touched up in a few places. Anyone happen to know what paint type the factory used, acrylic or enamel? And also, is there an off the self paint that is a decent color match...such as Testers, HiPoParts florescent white needle paint, etc.? Thanks in advance!

-Phil
it's water based acrylics. I washed mine out to do a change over to white background but have not gotten around to changing the speedo numbers to black.

the background
DSCF4161.JPG

installed in the unit but not painted (still isn't $#%#$)
DSCF4164.JPG

getting ready to paint the needles and bars.
DSCF4172.JPG

Bars painted
DSCF4179.JPG

the needles I used testors florescent orange and (stock gauges are satin black and white bars) White acrylic for the numbers, which I still have to do. . I used to do that stuff when I was a kid working for piece money at a small shop. rule of thumb is if it open to touch or wipe down with a cloth it's lacquer(heater /radio/wiper and ignition switch lettering), if behind or engraved in a lens like the 66 it's acrylic since you can wet wipe down the numbers and not hurt the lens. the background is silk screened (in your case the black background and white lines, reverse of mine)

Last edited:
-
Back