66 Dart trans swap question

-

mike240

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot trans talk. I came here since the early As are a bit unique. Car is a center console 904 auto. IF I went a different route on this car and wanted 927, I understand it will fit other than the pinch weld at the mouth of the tunnel will need addressing.

Will the same shifter and current 904 linkage work with a 927?

What of cross member?

And I assume a new driveline is needed for I do this, it will be because I would be adding power and the current driveline and 7.25 rear would not handle it…thank you

727. Those cars never used 727's and the hump and tunnel will need to be modified slightly. 904's are quit tough and can be built to handle 600 horsepower so they say.

Thanks. Yes I have heard that and was also exploring that option to just have it built for power. Looking into options but do not want to cut the tunnel. So I guess 904 it is. Thanks.

Some guys get away with simply hammering the pinch-weld flat to fit a 727.
I've acutely have put 340/727's in early Darts and don't even remember hammering the pinch weld down but it's a good idea for more finger clearance. It's really no big deal to put in a 727. It's cheaper to use the 727 from the standpoint of rebuilding/modifying for the same amount of hp.

So anyone put TTi's on an early a body with a 42RE or 500 trans? How did it work out. This is my plan for the wifes 66.

Ok. What about the cross member and shifter?

When I bought my 66 it had a 340/727 with no mods I only had to adjust the pinch weld when I went to the Lakewood bellhousing when I put the 4 speed back in

Yes, the only mod necessary is flattening the pinch weld.....and that's with the big block 727 case. I believe the small block 727 case fits a little better. That said, like @toolmanmike said, the 904 can be built to handle plenty of power with parts available today. They have no trouble handling up to and beyond 500hp. Bucky Hess ran a 904 in his SS Hemi Barracuda for years. He got deep in the 9s with it, so they definitely will hold up. I'd leave it the 904.

I have been reading a lot trans talk. I came here since the early As are a bit unique. Car is a center console 904 auto. IF I went a different route on this car and wanted 927, I understand it will fit other than the pinch weld at the mouth of the tunnel will need addressing.

Will the same shifter and current 904 linkage work with a 927?

What of cross member?

And I assume a new driveline is needed for I do this, it will be because I would be adding power and the current driveline and 7.25 rear would not handle it…thank you
I have a '66 with a 360/727 combo. No mods needed on my install, but, there isn't enough room for a tranny blanket without modifying the firewall/tunnel. Stock transmission crossmember. Shortened the driveshaft and got a yoke for the 727 (different than the 904). I'm using an aftermarket cable shifter, but, a stock shifter should work ok, but, you might need a different lower extension housing bracket. As mentioned, I'd just build the 904 if it will handle your horsepower. I would have gone that route, but, the car I bought already had the 727 setup and I haven't got around to doing the changeover. If you want faster times at the strip, the 904 is lighter and has less HP loss than the 727.

Thank you all for replies. Learning as I go and have questions during the process. It is not to be a drag strip car but may be adding power and wanted to plan ahead. Can’t street race like the old days and am too old to be doing so. Surely a built 904 would suffice snd will probably not ever been in it long enough to achieve peak HP of the motor.

Also did not want to cut up the car…

Yes, the only mod necessary is flattening the pinch weld.....and that's with the big block 727 case. I believe the small block 727 case fits a little better. That said, like @toolmanmike said, the 904 can be built to handle plenty of power with parts available today. They have no trouble handling up to and beyond 500hp. Bucky Hess ran a 904 in his SS Hemi Barracuda for years. He got deep in the 9s with it, so they definitely will hold up. I'd leave it the 904.
Bucky Hess ate a lot of 904s! A
I agree a 727 is probably cheaper and ultimately stronger. If he were looking for milage a 904

Bucky Hess ate a lot of 904s! A
I agree a 727 is probably cheaper and ultimately stronger. If he were looking for milage a 904
Yes he did. But imagine one built has as strong behind a small block. It'd never break!

-
Back