66 Dart

-

Kochampftt

Reaction score
First time posting. So I recently purchased a 66 Dodge Dart with the 904 auto trans (I believe) and the 225 "Charger" slant 6. The only guess on mileage is around 26,000(long story lol). Anyways best guess on last it was turned over or moved is 75' possibly. So I believe the motor is locked up.

Anyone have any good tips on breaking it free so I can start working it? I found a bolt to go into the double pulley/crank shaft, the bolt keeps going thru thick washer and doesn't stop turning no matter how much force I've used (obviously a lot since I'm going thru washers) and it hasn't budged yet. I have this far ran a funnel into the spark plug holes and poured marvel mystery oil in, also sprayed an entire can of liquid wrench in, and I've been leaving the spark plugs out.

Attached several pictures for starting the resto.

Thanks for the help! Mopar or No Car!

Welcome to FABO. Sounds like a great place to start with your 66. If you can't get the engine unlocked you can always find a small block to put in and really have some fun. Feel free to post some pictures and info on my 66 Dart thread. I'll post a link soon. toolmanmike

First time posting. So I recently purchased a 66 Dodge Dart with the 904 auto trans (I believe) and the 225 "Charger" slant 6.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your Dart purchase! I am new to a 66 Dart as well, mine is a GT. There are a lot of knowledgeable peeps on here. toolmanmike definitely knows what's up. Posting photos is a bit of a challenge so let me know if you want some help.

20170319_154044.jpg
20170316_162718.jpg
20170319_164819.jpg

Welcome to the world of 66 Darts! As has already been said the guys on this site will get you thru any problems you run into. I bought one of these things a little over 3 years ago and have gotten a ton of help here. I wish you luck and if there is anything I can help you with dont hesitate to ask.
Best of luck
Rod

Welcome to the world of 66 Darts! As has already been said the guys on this site will get you thru any problems you run into. I bought one of these things a little over 3 years ago and have gotten a ton of help here. I wish you luck and if there is anything I can help you with dont hesitate to ask.
Best of luck
Rod

Trying to find someone with some tips on unlocking the motor. Wrote all of the specs in my intro/resto brother.

Thanks everyone! Glad to be here

Breaking the motor loose depends on why its locked up. If it spun a bearing last time it ran it may not free up without taking it apart. If it truely last ran in 75 thats 40 years + so i would guess the rings rusted in cyls. If thats the case youve done the best thing by putting oil in cyls and letting it soak. Ive had luck by going to flywheel and prying against teeth to try turning motors over but starter must be removed for that method. Again you may need to remove and tear apart. Best of luck.
Rod

Breaking the motor loose depends on why its locked up. If it spun a bearing last time it ran it may not free up without taking it apart. If it truely last ran in 75 thats 40 years + so i would guess the rings rusted in cyls. If thats the case youve done the best thing by putting oil in cyls and letting it soak. Ive had luck by going to flywheel and prying against teeth to try turning motors over but starter must be removed for that method. Again you may need to remove and tear apart. Best of luck.
Rod

Thanks Rod! I've contemplated going there and trying that. Question, we all know many of these didn't come with the crank bolt. So, I stacked a washer behind the bolt yesterday along with a smaller one above it, after really cranking down on it the crank still had not moved but the smaller washer and bolt had pretty much gone thru the bigger washer. Anyone who's done this care to share how they kept the bolt from going to far for a socket?

Okay so today after the MMO, wd40, and liquid wrench have sat in the engine for 4 days I once again attempted to get the crank to turn a bit using a breaker bar. It didn't even budge. The entire car is rocking but it's not budging at all.

I lifted the rear end and got I on blocks. Put the car in drive and was able to roll both tires and I can see the drive shaft rotating.

Tomorrow I'm going for the inspection plate on the bottom side and I'm going to attempt to move the fly wheel and see if that budges.

Any other ideas other than simply giving the lubrication more time to work?

By the way, the car is holding good looking oil ((for its age)) so I wouldn't think the lower bearings would be seized. The radiator fluid was pretty and green.

The transmission dipstick is missing sadly and my trucks dipstick is straight and long and therefore won't make the curve in order to see the transmission fluid.

So do you know if the motor was fine the last time the key was turned off or has it not been used because the motor locked up? In your original post You said that the 26000 miles was due to a long story. If you cant break it loose from the under side then it would be time to pull the head. From there you may find out more but you may need to remove block and start removing the oil pan. Im surprised that its locked up this tight if the plugs were in it at all times. Maybe it blew a head gasket and was left to rust with coolant in a cylinder. But it sounds like your going to find out soon!
Keep us updated.
Are you planning on staying with the 6 cyl?
Rod

I'm hoping to stay with the slant 6, my dad fantasizes over how "indestructible" they were and says that if I truly plan to drive this car a long time then that's what he would keep in it.

However, from what I understand, the engine is "heat driven" and although it seemingly had as many moving parts as a wood stove, not many people have much luck with simple rebuilds. So if it comes down to having to send it by freight for someone qualified to rebuild it, then I'll probably go ahead and order new motor mounts and a 318/340 or something because the cost total would come out about the same.

I am going to try the underside truck tomorrow. If that doesn't work then I am going to wait until Sunday while still adding fluid ((just to see if it takes more, that would let me know if the lubricants are actually breaking thru and draining anywhere)). If it won't move by Sunday and I can't find someone I trust to help tear it apart. Then I may simply pull it and start looking for a new/used v8.

Well to be honest your dad is right. Those motors went forever. My dad worked at a dodge dealer so when he bought his own business we worked on a ton of them that followed him. Other then adjusting valves and tuneups those things were one tough engine. Rebuilding it shouldnt be a big problem. Hoping it breaks loose for you.
Rod

-
Back