66 Formula S project

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I've been working on this car on and off for a couple years now. A friend of mine brought it back to Iowa from Alabama back in the late 80's. It hadn't been driven much once he brought it here, but he stored it outside under big trees. :wack:Needless to say, the car's condition suffered from that storage arrangement. I fabbed both front floor pans and lower quarters, pass. side trunk extension and welded in a spare tire well from a 68 Valiant. Other than that, the car's frame rails and the rest of the sheet metal are really solid, thanks to heavy undercoating.:cheers: Well, I hope the pictures are o.k. If not, I'll resize and get back to you. The whole project looks about like my current avatar.

firewall.jpg

floor cut out.jpg

floor pieces.jpg

rh rear angle.jpg

Lh quarter.jpg

in deed needs some work will be a nice ride when all done keep them pics comin

Keep at it :cheers: you are saving a great 66 8) welcome to this great site if I missed you.:happy10: That's some good looking work you have dun already :cheers:

lookin good. where did you purchase your floor pans?
I made them out of some old filing cabinets. The driver side is three pieces and the pass. side is made from seven pieces and all welded together to make one piece. Too many contours to do it in one piece. (Well, unless you're Ron Covell). I have a bead roller to roll the beads. Before I cut the old floor out, I made patterns from large water color paper to transfer to the sheet metal. Not concours quality, but good enough for the driver this car is going to be.

Here is a picture of the trunk extension I made. Again, I made a paper pattern based off of the rusty original. You can see it's made from three pieces of steel. The wheel lip section was a 1"X1" 90 degree and formed with a shrinker/stretcher, then the angled transition piece and finally the main section with beads rolled into it. It took a lot of fitment trials before I got it right, but it fits great. You can see it's not finish welded yet in this photo, but it is now. Again, not concours, but pretty good for a hack!!

rh trunk ext mock up sm.jpg

Keep it up. Always glad to see another 66 on the road.

What do mean by another Dave ? lol :clock:

Very nice work Cuda !

Here are a few pictures of the trunk extension and the lower quarter. The trunk floor section of the extension was in good shape, but as you can see the lower part was toast. The photo is the old rusty piece next to the rough work of the new piece grafted to the floor piece connected to the hip bone, oh, sorry. The outer quarter is two pieces as shown in the mock up photo. Hope you like what you see.

rh quarter mock up 2.jpg

trunk ext removed.jpg

trunk ext installed.jpg

trunk ext under car.jpg

trunk ext comparison.jpg

I particularly enjoy your photographs of the removed rusty pieces arranged in a jigsaw puzzle to indicate where they came from. :)

Really nice work on rolling your own beads on the filing cabinet pieces.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo, 5.0 5-spd :)

I particularly enjoy your photographs of the removed rusty pieces arranged in a jigsaw puzzle to indicate where they came from. :)

Really nice work on rolling your own beads on the filing cabinet pieces.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo, 5.0 5-spd :)
Thanks, I'm constantly learning new stuff by just rollin' up my sleeves and giving it a go. Some of those projects took a few tries before I got the results I wanted, but after a while perseverence pays off.8)I'll keep the photos coming as work progresses.

Thanks PapstXX. I sure do try!! Well fellers, winter has set in pretty good here too. I've been spending more time trying to get my shop insulated so I can work out there than I have been working on the car. I did get the doors hung and temporarily have the fenders on too. Since I've got the shop such a mess, the Cuda has also served as mini storage. Here are a couple recent photos. You guys have really gotten me motivated to get out in the shop and get at it, all your resto pics are very inspiring, keep 'em commin'!!!:cheers: Thanks, Drew

cuda driver side primed.jpg

cuda pass side primed.jpg

however, there I am glad that man to himself motivates mutually with the photos. :)

What do you have for a business?

I fell trees!

l_a3e39bcfa136425ca7f76bf9ef2c45bf.jpg

l_322cb963d7b24a2ea266c81c4019ea88.jpg

Kind regards
Uli

4spd cuda,I've been working on my 66 for 2 years now 340,727,mini tubbed,narrowed posi 8 3/4,custom paint,I am getting close. got all the glass back in and just started putting in a ron francis wiring kit.Stay with it. It will be worth it in the long run.

-
Back