66 plymouth Valiant Wagon rear section... .

-

ndeconte

Reaction score
One thing that I love on the 2/4 door 66 valiant's is the tall front and rear bumper.

They missed the mark on the 66 wagon since they carried over the main body from the 65, doing that the wagon has the tall front bumper and the thin rear bumper.

FB_IMG_1578512374914.jpg

I figured that the tall rear bumper just wouldn't work with the tailgate, that's why they did that.

Then I saw that the 66 Chrysler Valiant (VC) Safari station wagon got it right! So I assume it can be done!

1966_Chrysler_Valiant_(VC)_Safari_station_wagon_(2015-06-08)_02.jpg

Now I know it would consist of changing the lower sections of the rear quarters, removing the rear valance and replacing the rear bumper and brackets.

Questions I have are:

Are the dropdowns for the rear quarters the same on the 65 & the 66 valiants?

And I'm not sure how the rear section where the rear bumper attached to the frame compared from one to the other.

Any input on the above would be appreciated! Any photos of the bumper mount section on the 66 valiants would be helpful also........ photos of the area during assembly or restoration would be great, so I can compare to my wagon.

Thanks all!

I had similar thoughts. That looks like a '65 or '66 front bumper mounted on the rear ('65 w/amber lenses? Looks like the Aussies used those for blinkers, and the backup lights are up by the taillights). When I had the rear bumper off of my Dart wagon I put a spare '66 Barracuda front bumper up there, and it wasn't a bad fit except for the bumper reliefs in the lower quarters (sorry, didn't think to take pics). The Barracuda (Valiant) bumper has slanted ends, Dart ones are more vertical and I think they'd blend better into those reliefs. Use clear '66 parking light lenses and you'd have built-in back up lights, too. Then it would just be a matter of removing those teardrops from the quarters and welding in some flat tin. Bumper brackets would be up to you, might be able to mod the stock rear brackets, I didn't look into it that far.
I ended up using the stock rear, someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the Barracuda bumper.

Years ago I had a 69 Charger and loved those front and rear thin bumpers. Glad my 65 wagon has one at least on the rear. Would love to find a thin A body bumper that would fit and I could use on the front

I think the rear bumper and brackets will work from a 66 Valiant 2/4 door.

The lower rear quarters on mine need to be replaced (bottoms have severe rot) so I'm planning on replacing them with the 66 2/4 door patch panels.
Screenshot_20200118-185013_Chrome.jpg

I'm thinking that I'll keep the stock round wheel openings on the wagon, just change the lower rear quarter. The openings will need to be rebuilt (both inner and outer), but that's a whole other story.

-
Back