66 Valiant heat/ac fan question

-

lyonsronnie1

Reaction score
Hi guys (and girls)
I have a 1966 Valiant, and years ago I switched the heater box out of it, and installed an a/c setup out of a 1966 Dart that I found. For years we've tinkered with this car, and I"ve been driving it lately.

I can't get the fan to hook up on the heater box, there's a ground wire with a ring on it that I've grounded out to the firewall, but there's a green wire coming off the back of the fan motor too that I can't for the life of me figure out where it's supposed to plug in.

I have schematics but only for a 66 with heater. I'm just trying to get the fan speed switch to work. If I run a jumper wire from the battery over to the green wire coming off the fan, it turns on (high of course) and you can drive it like that, with the fan always on.

Anybody have a early A body with an a/c setup that can tell me what that fan motor plugs into in the engine bay?

Thanks in advance!

Ron

On the top of the A/C-Heater box there will be a resistor unit that the fan switch plugs into and the feed wire for the blower comes off of it. On my 68 Barracuda the feed wire went thru the bulkhead connector and then to the blower. You have to have a service manual to get the actual wiring diagram for the A/C system as that is part of an accessory wiring harness. Maybe someone has that diagram as I only have it for 67 and 68.

Thanks Steve, I think I've got a service manual around here somewhere I'll try to dig out. I asked my brother about it and he seems to think that we've got some more wiring in storage that could be the engine harness from the a/c car, maybe that's my problem. I'm surprised though that the heater motor from the heat box didn't hook up the same way. I'll have to dig into it some more tommorow.

Well, today with good sunlight I looked around and on the drivers side fenderwell was an extra harness tucked away, apparently when we hooked everything up we couldn't figure out where that went and just kind of put it to the side. It had the heater blower motor hookup (which was green) and a blue wire that's much longer that I believe probably goes to the A/C compressor whenever we get that installed.

Thanks for the help! The fan still won't turn on with the switch but I'm sure it's a bad connection, bad switch, or bad resistor. I'm going to check all that out with a multimeter here in a bit.

O.K., I checked all the wiring and everything's plugged in where it goes, but it's blowing the heater fuse. I'm going to pull the fuse box and look behind it to make sure nothing's shorting it out...Does anybody have any idea of what else runs off of the heater /ac fuse? I'm looking at some schematics here but they're incomplete and only show partial wiring for the heater controls. I'm getting my 12V at one side of the fuse holder, but it blows a fuse everytime you try to bridge it through to the system. Thanks in advance!

Make sure all your grounds are good then go to the blower motor, pull it and bench test it, you either have a short somewhere or bad blower motor, did you every check the resistor???

The blower motor is good because when I run 12v straight from the battery to it it works fine.

The resistor seems to be fine too, I'm getting (off the top of my head!) something like 2.0ohms resistance on one side, and .9ohms resistance from the lead closest to the wire going to the blower motor. If that resistor was bad though, I don't think it would blow the fuse, it would just make the adjustable speed not work. I'm thinking maybe it's a short, but I'll have to find for sure if anything else runs on that circuit too.

Please let us know when you figure it out, I'm having a similar problem, blower only works when I run a wire from the battery. I'm following your thread. Good luck and welcome to FABO.

Did anyone figure this out? Still looking for resister blower works with 12volt hot wire. Can’t get it to work from switch.

The blower motor is good because when I run 12v straight from the battery to it it works fine.

The resistor seems to be fine too, I'm getting (off the top of my head!) something like 2.0ohms resistance on one side, and .9ohms resistance from the lead closest to the wire going to the blower motor. If that resistor was bad though, I don't think it would blow the fuse, it would just make the adjustable speed not work. I'm thinking maybe it's a short, but I'll have to find for sure if anything else runs on that circuit too.

Please let us know when you figure it out, I'm having a similar problem, blower only works when I run a wire from the battery. I'm following your thread. Good luck and welcome to FABO.
How are you? Still never figured out my blower motor switch problem. Did you ever get yours working?

-
Back