66 Valiant, tire recommendations for the street

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just found out my tires are 20+ years old, I need to replace them ASAP. My rims and tires are 14x5.5 with 205/70 in the front, and 14x7 with 245/60 in the rear - all SBP which I will be keeping. I like the way it sits and looks with this combination. The car is a warmed up slant with A833OD, 3.55 gears. I don't see me racing this other than an occasional pass at the strip to check performance as I build it up. It's for street use, and again not for racing just for good handling.

Unfortunately, the only tires I can find for a direct replacement are BFG TA's. What are opinions on their handling characteristics? Good rain handling is a must, I'm in the Pacific NorthWest.

I am considering going to some custom made 15x6 rims in front with 15x7 in the rear. That will open up a LOT more tire choices. Given my use parameters above, what advice is there on tires, especially as compared to the TA's? I'd like to get this right the first time around and not play the tire/wheel version of Beach Blanket Bingo.

What, do you have something against Frankie and Annette?
In 14 inch, you do not have a lot of choices.
I am in a similar dilemma with my 64 ,not a lot of choices out there for a nice matched pair. I would definitely upgrade to 15 in, as you said it opens up a lot more choices. That being said if you need tires now I would just get what you need in 14s to get you by until you get the 15s.
I have used the bfgs traction T A's and they have worked good , another option I would probably look into the Cooper cobras.
I am running Mickey Thompson's on my truck right now and I am satisfied with those.

And now for something completely different... I saw Pirelli has reintroduced their classic CN36 Cinturato.
They do not have a 235 though and are rather pricey.
205/70VR14 Pirelli Cinturato CN36

But generally I like Michelins, they are the only brand that doesn’t need to be replaced after five years.

-
Back