66 Valiant ~ Wheel size / offset question

-

AircoolerKirk

Reaction score
The wheels on my new Valiant (at least the drivers side two) are heavily corroded from being in the mud. So sooner than I would typically like I need to look at wheels. I have done some research into changing the bolt pattern, but I don't think I am going that route currently. So I have been looking at SBP 5x4 (guess thats 5x101.6) 15" wheels since I need two anyway. Pretty limited options it seems.

My question is, I don't know what offset I should be looking at to fit correctly. Is there a chart or anything I need to look at?

1D5pqvh.jpg

haIqvjH.jpg

I can't tell from the photo, was yours originally 13" or 14"?
The 5 bolt 4" bolt circle is correct.

Last edited:
Wheel vintiques is the place to find small bolt pattern (sbp) 15” wheels. There were no factory supplied 15” sbp wheels

The factory 13" wheels are 13 x 4.5 with 3.375 backspace. How wide and what diameter of tire are you wanting to run?

Last edited:
The factory 13" wheels are 13 x 4.5 with 3.375 backspace. How wide and what diameter of tire are you wanting to run?
I fall in the category of I don't know what I don't know. Ideally a 15" wheel, but I don't know what I can fit or what is recommended.

245/60R15 will fit the back with careful wheel offset selection with no body mods. Some have even fit 255/60R15 but the 245 takes some real careful fitting. Beyond that you get into rolling fenderwells and mini tubs. You probaly don't want that large on the front anyway so it's a bit easier. Are your plans for your car to be a tire shredder or a funtime cruiser?

Switch to a 5 bolt rear (7-1/4" -8-1/4" - or -8-3/4"), and have many options for wheels. ----- I had a 8-1/4" rear, with Mopar, steel, 15" X 7" wheels (stock - I believe 4" back space) - 245/60-15" tires, on My 65 Valiant, and they fit fine, w/o modifications.
Valiant - 12-12-18 - 3.JPG

Last edited:
245/60R15 will fit the back with careful wheel offset selection with no body mods. Some have even fit 255/60R15 but the 245 takes some real careful fitting. Beyond that you get into rolling fenderwells and mini tubs. You probaly don't want that large on the front anyway so it's a bit easier. Are your plans for your car to be a tire shredder or a funtime cruiser?
Funtime cruiser. I did find several options just now in 17" that are the correct bolt pattern. Never considered a wheel that large before. Hmm.

Im not opposed to the bolt pattern swap, I'm just not sure what all is involved. Seems pretty involved honestly.

--Im not opposed to the bolt pattern swap, I'm just not sure what all is involved. Seems pretty involved honestly. --
-- Pretty easy -- I believe that You would have to cut - or - change the drive shaft. You would have to get a complete rear - drum to drum, to make it easy. -- Of course, as with "Toys" it will take $$. The cheapest rear, if You could find one, would be a 7-1/4" with 5 X 4-1/2" axles.

Man. Not opposed to the work or the money, gotta pay to play of course. But changing a rear end and driveshaft and such just to run different wheels seems like such an involved process.

Then again, I've never owned a vintage plymouth before so I learn something everyday.

@memike and @66340SEDAN may be able to help. They both have 66 Valiant sedans with bigger rears. There are many 66 Valiant owners here that may chime in as well. Although not a Valiant, I put 15x7 4" backspace wheels on the rear of my 66 Dart. I kept the original 14" wheels up front. Here's a photo and a link to my thread.
New 15" rear tires

001b.JPG

I fall in the category of I don't know what I don't know. Ideally a 15" wheel, but I don't know what I can fit or what is recommended.
Possibilities are limitless. Is it going to be a "hot rod" or more of a stock, low-budget car? Do you want to be able to rotate the tires? Do you want to modify the wheelwells and/or fenders in order to fit the fattest/biggest tires you can on it? What's the budget? "Mags" or steel wheels?

-- I do see 15" steelies in the correct pattern. Wonder if my dog dish caps fit those. --
-- Those are available in scrap yards, at least in My area. -- Yes, Mopar, Dog Dish Caps (9" across the back side) fit the Mopar Steelies. -- I'm not sure about the after market wheels.

-- Those are available in scrap yards, at least in My area. -- Yes, Mopar, Dog Dish Caps (9" across the back side) fit the Mopar Steelies. -- I'm not sure about the after market wheels.
What's available in your area?

Since Mopar never made a 4" BC wheel in 15", you won't find them in scrap yards. Unless someone's aftermarket wheels wound up there. I suppose anything's possible.

Possibilities are limitless. Is it going to be a "hot rod" or more of a stock, low-budget car? Do you want to be able to rotate the tires? Do you want to modify the wheelwells and/or fenders in order to fit the fattest/biggest tires you can on it? What's the budget? "Mags" or steel wheels?

Good questions. Rotating would be great, and I dont want to modify any body metal at all. My budget is pretty open for wheels, and Im not stuck on one style or another. Wheels have always made the car to me.

Funtime cruiser.
Im not opposed to the bolt pattern swap, I'm just not sure what all is involved. Seems pretty involved honestly.
There are many ways to get to a 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern. If you are planning to go to front discs the 73 up front disc swap is probably the most common and gets you to 4-1/2 circle. Then you would need to redrill your rear axles or far better , find an 8-3/4 rear end and put in some 5 on 4-1/2 axles or get a later 8-1/4 with 4-1/2 axles in it. Many other options exist so you might want to do some research before buying wheels that you end up wanting to change.

-- Since Mopar never made a 4" BC wheel in 15", you won't find them in scrap yards. Unless someone's aftermarket wheels wound up there. I suppose anything's possible. --
-- I assumed that He meant 5 X 4-1/2 " -- Shame on Me. -- :poke:

Good questions. Rotating would be great, and I dont want to modify any body metal at all. My budget is pretty open for wheels, and Im not stuck on one style or another. Wheels have always made the car to me.
Then, since they are readily available, either Cragar S/S or Wheel Vintiques in 15 x 6 with around 4" backspacing (or 7" with 4.5" bakspacing). 215/65-15 tires will fit on the front, so if you want all 4 the same size, that's the best size. Maybe, if you're lucky, you can get 225/60-15 on the front, but it's "iffy".

Then, since they are readily available, either Cragar S/S or Wheel Vintiques in 15 x 6 with around 4" backspacing (or 7" with 4.5" bakspacing). 215/65-15 tires will fit on the front, so if you want all 4 the same size, that's the best size. Maybe, if you're lucky, you can get 225/60-15 on the front, but it's "iffy".
That is very helpful. Thank you. What center caps do people usually run with those 15"?

Edit: I see wheel vintiques also sells caps. Good to know.

Last edited:
-
Back